Lilypie

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Work Woes ....

I am really stressed! Stressed, frustrated, agitated, upset, so much that I feel like screaming my head off at people! Now I really appreciate the smallness of this island, the leftover colonial laws and policies as well as the system of doing things, which may not be the best, but at least is much better than other places already.

Yet so many people complain about working here. It is only after dealing with people who work overseas in other countries that one can really feel that our system here is still better and far less complicated than that of other places.

Currently, I am in the middle of a couple of big projects, both involving other countries. The complication arises that the project was deemed to be completed during the first quarter of next year. So we got the contracts drafted out and in the midst of finalising, with one already signed.

Now, the latest update is that the project can only be completed around the third quarter. Due to this, the original completion date stated in the contracts have to be changed. The problem is that since one of the contracts have already been signed and ready to proceed with the next step, according to the laws of that country, if the project is not completed by then, there will be some heavy penalties by default.

So my boss blamed me, asking why did I state the first quarter when it was stated the third quarter? The trouble is that it was originally supposed to be the first quarter, and after all the emails and liaising with people, nobody told me that there were any changes, so I was given the go ahead to confirm.

Now, just when everything was confirmed, the latest update came that the project could only be completed around the third quarter. We were asked to liaise with this person, who told us to liaise with another person, who then told us to check with yet a third person. In the end, things just kept dragging as it was so hard to get everyone to come to a consensus.

The top management is now putting the blame on my department. On one hand, there is pressure for the contracts to be signed, as we already had quite a bit of problems with the laws of this particular country, which was why the original signing date of the contracts have been delayed for two months already.

On the other hand, the people in charge kept changing the completion dates, and if the remaining contracts have been sent out and signed, it will be another troublesome procedure trying to rectify and amend, if the laws of that country even allow it in the first place.

In short, we are screwed. My boss, being the superior, will obviously cover himself, which means everything points to me. I will be the one that is being arrowed. Of course, working is never perfect, but why do I have to be the black sheep for something which I have done right yet it is beyond my control when things go wrong?

These are some of the things that may just get one fired. In the event that happens, it looks like I have to move again, and I really have no inclination of moving for now!

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Erm, you should have the copy of that "go ahead" instruction right?

That's your defense shield.

(Unless it was a verbal go-ahead, then...)

juphelia said...

A pity it was a verbal go-ahead. But anyway that has been settled, thank goodness!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...