Lilypie

Sunday, November 4, 2007

"Last Minute" Encounters ....

What I find weird about some people is that they expect others to always do their biddings, yet at the same time not willing to compromise for others. I believe there is a word for this called "self-centred".

For instance, I happened to meet a guy recently and he has the habit of asking people out at the last minute. Like if he wants a dinner date on Tuesday evening, he will ask on Tuesday afternoon 4:00pm. Then if I happened to be busy that night, or if I just want to have time for myself to laze around at home after work and I turned him down, he would ask why I was busy. Erh, because I just happened to be busy?

He did the same thing again a few days later. He would ask only a couple of hours in advance. Within two weeks, he asked me out four times, but each time he asked at the last minute. Three times I was busy, but the last time I wanted to unwind after a day's work so did not feel like going out.

Finally he got rather pissed and asked why did I keep turning him down? So I told him I appreciate some advance notice and not last minute. He said he asked me a few hours in advance so it should not be last minute!

Well, to me, asking on the day itself is last minute indeed! If one is to ask someone for a date, should the person not ask at least a day or two in advance? Even dating agencies will arrange dates a few days later, and not on the day itself!

Even if a couple is already in a firm relationship, they still date each other out in advance, unless he / she knows the schedule of the girlfriend / boyfriend very well and know (s)he has nothing on the day itself then can ask spontaneously at the last minute.

I am not saying that my time is so precious that people have to "book" me way in advance. I do not mind others trying their luck and asking if I am available on the day itself, then if I happened to be free and did not mind meeting up I would gladly go.

But I just do not like the attitude of some who think the girl is priviledged to be asked out by them in the first place, and refuse to take no for an answer, or worse, accuse her of being too hard to get.

Come on! People have their own lives! Who are you to them that they have to drop everything just because you ask them out? As what my mum always says, everyone has the right to choose. Just like I cannot force someone to accept me because I have feelings for him, I, too, have the right to choose who I want to go out with. And some people are simply not worth my time.

4 comments:

Richard said...

I am afraid that I am one of those who only asked people out at the last minute. I can't think of any case where I ever asked a girl out well in advance. Maybe that is one reason I got turned down a lot.

juphelia said...

Asking last minute is ok if you want to take a chance on seeing if the person you wish to meet is free. But what I get so irritated about is if the person ask me at the last minute and I turn him down, he gets all so persistent and possessive. That really turns me off.

Richard said...

Oh, no. I just ask and if they say no, that's fine.

I will only consider asking in advance if there is a need to (like buying tickets for a play).

Otherwise, it ws always at the last minute. It was not untypical for me to call at 19:30 and ask, "Would you like to go for a walk?"

Richard said...

BTW, Elvina posted yesterday.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...