Lilypie

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

An Obnoxious Date

I seem to be having non-impressionable dates lately. Like the one last night. It was my first date with Lunch Actually. I had to work a little late last evening, so took a cab down to the place where I was supposed to meet the date. Luckily I managed to arrive fifteen minutes earlier than the stipulated time.

The restaurant is pretty cosy, rather crowded and quite popular with the working class. I see quite a number of diners who seemed to have come from work, having a gathering together. The food looked not bad, but since I was not too hungry, I just ordered a cheesecake and tea after the guy arrived.

Well, the guy was late for about fifteen minutes. Luckily I had a book handy so I read while waiting for him. I was in the last couple of chapters and when my watch read 7:40pm (we were supposed to meet at 7:30pm), I told myself that by the time I finished the book and he had not arrived, I would just leave.

He arrived shortly after that. When I saw the way he sashayed towards me, it somehow gave me the feeling that he is a rather pompous person, someone overly confident. And I was right! Before he even sat down, he looked me up and down, like as if I was some sort of experiment to be worked on. It gave me a real uncomfortable feeling.

When he sat down, the moment he opened his mouth, I could tell he is someone obnoxious. He had a fake American accent and started behaving in such a high-class way as if he owned the whole world. He was definitely faking everything. Real high class people will never behave like how he did. Perhaps he was trying to impress, but he really put me off.

So I started speaking in my most British voice. If he wants to fake an accent, I can speak in that way too, except after years of talking to my Australian cousins, I have developed a bit of real slang, not a fake one.

No doubt he is knowledgeable and smart, but from the conversation, he indicates that he cannot stand kids. Well, being intolerant of kids and thinking he is too good for himself reflects that he is probably not that nice a person in the first place.

I did not enjoy myself at all. I guess the feeling is mutual, as he cut short the date after the dessert and drinks session. Normally the dates would last for a couple of hours or so, but this one ended after slightly more than an hour. We did not exchange contacts, and he did not ask for my number, which is just as well.

I hope the next date will be much better, in every sense of the word.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...