Lilypie

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Little Gesture Goes A Long Way

After all the griping about not-so-good customer service, last night I encountered two incidents that got me really impressed. One was at the Jewel Box and the other was the cabby with whom we took the cab home.

As both of us needed to rush home after the dinner, we decided to hail a cab. So we went to the counter asking if we could call for a cab. The guy at the counter just whipped out his handphone and started texting, informing us he was calling a cab for us.

After that, he told us that the cab we called for had arrived, and personally ushered us to where the driver was waiting. I was really impressed!

Firstly, he need not use his personal mobile to do that, he could just call for a cab using their phone, or just say no and we call ourselves.

Secondly, after doing that and the cab arrived, there was a very long queue, so he need not personally usher us to where the cab was. He could have just told us the cab number and where it was and asked us to find it ourselves.

These are but simple little gestures, but they surely go out of the way to making a person feel warm and happy.

Now for the cabby. When we got into the cab, he apologized for making us walk, as he said it was too crowded at the entrance hence he had to go a bit further down. I just smiled and said no problem. He need not have said anything, but he did. A plus point.

Secondly, along the way to my place, it was easiest using the main highway, but because there was an accident there, the cab driver told us that he would be using another highway which would be a longer route to my place.

He then apologized and said it was due to an accident and if he took that route, there would be a massive jam. He need not have said that and could have just gone the longer route, which was what some cabbies would have done. Hence, another up for him!

When he dropped me off my place, he politely thanked us after we paid him. Suddenly I realize I left the Christmas gift my colleague gave me in his cab. So we called the cab company and the driver said that he was picking passengers in town, and would deposit the item at the Lost and Found department of the company where we would then make arrangement to collect.

However after a few minutes, I was told he could drop by my place to return me the item. And he did. I am really impressed. It is just a small Christmas gift my colleague gave me, nothing expensive or fancy, yet he took the trouble to swing by and return it to me.

I am really touched by his gesture. So this morning, I wrote a nice feedback about this cabby, commending him on what he had done, and expressing my immense gratitude.

True, customer service officers do need some improvement, but it is incidents like these that make one feel that there is still hope. And if everyone gives commendations and recognition when due, I am sure more people will feel appreciated and motivated to be nicer and kinder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...