Lilypie

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Attending A Ball ....

The Eurasian Association is having a Masquerade Ball at the end of the year. Since I am now attached to an Eurasian, he invited me to the ball. I must say I am rather excited. This is the first time I am actually attending a ball, and a masquerade one at that! After all the stories I have read about old time balls and masquerades, finally I have the chance to attend one!

Which makes me wonder, why is it that the Chinese Association never comes up with such interesting things? They come up with things like calligraphy, Chinese painting, tea appreciation, etc. Why is it they never come up with things like ballroom dancing, salsa, latin dance, or even a formal dinner and dance?

Or is it because it is the general assumption that Chinese people like Chinese things, whereas all those balls and whatnot is only for descendants of Europeans? Then what about the English-educated Chinese who indulges in the Western way of life and cannot speak a word of Mandarin, yet they are still by default members of the Chinese Association by virtue of their race?

It would be good if we can choose, right? Oh well....

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

These racially based associations were set up to preserve the culture and tradition of that particular race. So obviously a Chinese Association would organise 'Chinese activities' like Chinese caligraphy, tea drinking, etc.

And a Eurasian Association would organise 'European activities' like ballroom dancing, masquerade balls, etc. because the Eurasians have a background rooted in Europe.

As for myself, being unable to speak Mandarin and with a Western way of thinking, I stay away from the Chinese Associations! :-)

juphelia said...

I don't have a choice here. I'm a member of the Chinese Association by default, and my bf is a member of the Eurasian Association by default. It's been decided at birth by race. If I can choose, I much rather be a member of the latter!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...