Lilypie

Friday, December 4, 2009

Lunch Vs Tea

A reflection from my previous post. Now that breakfast + lunch = brunch, and lunch + tea = tunch, what is dinner and supper? Does it make it "sinner" or "dipper"? Or lunch and dinner, does it make it "lunner" or "dunch"?

Anyway, I have long tried to differentiate between the different meals. Those Enid Blyton books I used to read at a very young age, always talks about breakfast, dinner, tea and supper. Where is lunch, I wonder? I was brought up to believe that the three meals means breakfast in the morning, lunch at noon, then dinner in the evening. Any food after dinner is supper, and any food in between lunch and dinner is tea.

Through the years, I learnt the concept of morning tea and afternoon tea. Morning tea is a mid-morning coffee break, whereas afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon coffee break. But some restaurants and hotels serve high tea in the afternoon, which consists of buffet spreads of a variety of food.

I have always liked the concept of the traditional English tea - three tier of sandwiches and cakes, tea with sugar and milk. Real English tea is to be drunk with sugar cubes and then milk in a jar, not the packaged sugar and creamer nowadays.

Whenever I source for caterers, I used to be rather confused over a tea reception and a buffet lunch / dinner. To me, is it not all the same? Afterall caterers only offer buffet, except for a few who offer sit-down meals upon request.

But upon studying the menu offered, I realise that a lunch / dinner reception normally comes with full meals - rice or noodles, variety of meat, vegetables, dessert and drinks. A tea reception menu consists of just finger food like sandwiches and canapes, with cakes and drinks.

So that is the difference! Personally, I much prefer a full meal than finger food, because a full meal is a proper meal. Not saying that a tea reception is not a proper meal, but if I am to take finger food, I much rather indulge in a proper high tea or traditional tea set. Now I can hardly wait for the next time I go for a high tea session!

2 comments:

Johnnyboy said...

Haha Enid Blyton always manages to make it all sounds so appetising! Strawberry scones, tea, boiled potatoes in butter and salt... and I actually tried the latter and it was real shiok!

juphelia said...

Yes, I know! I learnt a few "recipes" from her too, and they tasted as good as she described!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...