Lilypie

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Not A "Japanese" ....

I seem to notice that the default favourite food of the general local population here is Japanese cuisine. It is like each time someone asked me out for a gathering, they would always suggest Sakae Sushi, Sushi Teh or some other place that sells Japanese food.

Each time when I went for a date in the past, if the restaurant was not stated, the guy would automatically bring me to a Japanese place. Even my best friend and her hubby would suggest somewhere Japanese whenever I meet up with them (which is not as often as I would have liked nowadays).

Why, I wonder? Are there no other food here? What happened to all the other lovely cuisine around? There are lots of places to choose from, from French to American to Mediterranean to Italian to Modern European to Korean to Indian to Indonesian to local flare and whatnot. So why only stick to Japanese food?

I never had any inkling towards Japanese food. That is not to say I dislike it, I already said I am a glutton and I eat whatever that is on my plate. And I do go to eat Japanese food if the majority are of the consensus as I am not a party pooper. Afterall, food is food.

All I am saying is that, is there no other food to eat besides Japanese? Why always stick to the same places? My family is not too bad, we will try a variety except my parents still bend towards Chinese cuisine. But when I meet up with friends, automatically they will suggest Japanese, as if there are no other choices in the world.

I remember the first time Sakae Sushi opened here. My then-boyfriend, my best friend and I went for it, rather it was two against one (them against me), so I just followed. Then when I went for a (ex) colleague's gathering a few weeks after the Sakae meal, someone suggested Ichiban Boshi, and I was thinking, "Japanese food again?!"

Since then, everytime there was a gathering, majority would always be in favour of Japanese food. And almost every guy who asked me out automatically suggested Japanese food, as if they assumed I too liked it like so many others.

Which is why I never went out with them anymore! Those who stood out actually brought me to eat French food and other variety, without once mentioning Japanese. I always thought these are the ones who tend to have more passion for life, rather than those who are always stuck on the same thing.

That is not to say I totally hate Japanese food. I love Japan, I want so much to go back there again. I love the sushi, sashimi, bento, ramen, unagi, and sake I ate there last year. I love the culture and the country.

But I will never eat Japanese food in Singapore, save for a few good places that comes highly recommended by the Japanese themselves. In general (except for a few good ones), the quality of the Japanese food here cannot be compared to those in Japan.

At the risk of sounding too arrogant, nothing beats the Japanese food in Japan. The Japanese food here is simply disappointing in comparison. The pieces are so small, and not fresh enough. They are not cut properly, and most are tasteless. The sashimi here is not fresh and tender, the sushi is too small, the bento is awful, and the ramen tastes just like instant noodles.

Which is why I never like the Japanese food here. Ironically, those who frequent Japanese eateries are those who go Japan every year. I always wonder, after having tasted the best, do they really bear to eat Japanese food back here?

Having said that, there are a few places here which I like. One is the Aoki Yakitori at Gallery Hotel. Yakitori cooked to perfection, and the meat is tender and just right! Another is Yakiniku Daidomon, where it is a type of Japanese BBQ where raw meat is served and we have to cook it ourselves. That is always fun for me!

Another one is Ikoi Japanese Restaurant at Miramar Hotel. That is the Japanese restaurant my family (extended included) always goes to whenever our overseas relatives are in town. The food is as close to authentic as possible.

One more is this place at The Central (which I cannot remember the name). Good food, big servings and wonderful sake! Unfortunately, these are the places which most people will not go. They still prefer the likes of Sakae Sushi and Sushi Teh to please their palates.

For me, I still stick with the fact that Japanese food here simply does not cut it for me. I have Japanese colleagues who agree too, and that is already saying a lot about the quality (just like an Italian I know says our espressos and cappuccinos here do not make the mark as they taste like water, which is why I never drink coffee or the likes here but always drink it overseas).

So if I want authentic nice Japanese food, I will gorge myself the next time I go to Japan. Now that is real authentic good heavenly appetizing and mouth-watering Japanese food... but you are free to disagree!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...