Lilypie

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Putting God Before Self, Or Putting Self Before God?

Sorry if this seems to be another religious post, but I am getting a tad disappointed by some so-called staunch religious people. I believe I have mentioned before that I am involved in the CHOICE Asian Conference next year, organised by Catholics, presented by Catholics, for Catholics around the region. Hence, we are in the midst of raising funds in order to have enough to host delegates from all over the Asian region.

Due to this, there will be a Dinner and Dance exclusively to raise funds this Sunday. This should be a meaningful activity, except now I have half a mind not to attend anymore. I know it is for God, and our mission is to raise as much funds as possible, but when it becomes a grey area whether it is really fund-raising to do God's work or for one's own benefit, it then starts to become disillusioning.

Actually I have felt it long ago. The reason I joined CHOICE is because finally, after all these years, I have found a ministry I actually belong to and am inspired by - the couples who have no qualms sharing the ups and downs in their lives, the singles who touched me with their heartwarming sharing. The dedication to God and their faith is unwavering, which makes me yearn to be like that.

Hence I joined it for the purpose of improving my faith and getting more involved in my religion instead of being just a Sunday Catholic (even though I do not even go to church every Sunday). Thus although there were some who stopped going because they found their other halves, my dear and I agreed that God is the most important, so we continued with our religious activities and even took on more.

However, in the past few months while sitting in for the meetings, I start having the feeling that someone seemed to be using this dinner and dance for this particular person's (A) personal benefit. As long as A cannot make it for the meetings, everyone has to cater to A's timing, despite majority.

And the programs has to be done according to A's way, like A wanting to be the emcee, and wanting to bring all A's own people in, even if the people are not from CHOICE and perhaps not Catholics.

Perhaps because A is in charge, so A wanted everything done a particular way, so be it. Different people, different characters. There will always be those who are more enthusiastic and perfectionist, no issue with that.

Included in the program are auction items to raise funds. For instance, some offer skating lessons, some dance lessons, some cooking lessons. I offered piano lessons, with the starting bid at S$50.00 per hour. It is all for charity, so I will not get a single cent. Whatever amount earned will go into the CHOICE Asia Conference Fund.

However, what A did is a bit unethical in my opinion. Someone has already indicated he would like to take up piano lessons and would bid for my services. Yet I was approached by A, asking me if I can ask the interested party not to take up my services, and bid for A's more expensive services instead.

To me, it is not much of an issue. If no one wants to take up piano, it saves me the trouble from practising again. But I do not like A's approach. In the dinner and dance auction, it should be fair and square, anyone should be free to bid for anything they like. How can anyone then solicit from someone else, especially when the interested party has already made up his mind? I do not go around asking others if they can take my services!

It makes me wonder, if it is not A's service, would A still have approached me for that, even if the service can be more expensive than mine? So is A really doing it for God or for own benefit? Am I too sensitive to think that A is doing it more for own cause than really for God, that for some reason, A just wants to be in the limelight despite this being a religious event?

Today, I got really riled. The chairman sent out the final program for the dinner and dance. Someone feedbacked that we should cut down on the auction items and include more song and dance.

So A took the opportunity to cut off everyone's auction items, leaving just A's own auction items. What does that show? That A's items are the best and everyone else's sucks, even though it is supposed to be for fund-raising?

Now, if anyone is in my position, is he / she not justified to be angry? If even a religious organisation is going to start playing politics and being run like a corporate organisation, then it is rather sad indeed that people are starting to be in this state. I guess as long as there are humans, there will be trouble. I really wish I have not made the wrong choice choosing to serve in this ministry.

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Religious organisations are not free from politics and self interest because we are all human, with our weaknesses and failings.

But no doubt, we tend to cringe when we see self glorification and selfishness happening in the church, because we want to believe that the church does not have politics.

Where is the venue for CHOICE Asia Conference?

WARREN JD said...

It will be held in Singapore in Oct 2010. Details are still being worked out where the retreat would be held. Will inform you at a later date. Take care

cheers
Warren

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...