Lilypie

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Is Here!

Merry Christmas everyone! This Christmas is a little different for me, because I get to see how others celebrate Christmas, as in, not my friends, but how a true Eurasian family celebrates Christmas as passed down from their ancestors.

In the past, my own family would have Christmas parties, and we would go to my uncle's place for fun, food and games, but now that my cousins have grown and some married, we do not really do that anymore. And my own group of friends do not really celebrate Christmas (but then again, they do not really celebrate Lunar New Year too), so I cannot really count on them to feel "traditional".

Christmas is big for Eurasians, and Catholics at that. It starts with the Christmas dinner on the eve, followed by midnight mass, then today (Christmas Day) there would be feasting and family visiting, where his relatives would go to his place for lunch and they may visit other relatives at night. His mum or aunt would cook and everyone would feast. Sounds like our Lunar New Year!

Last night I was at his place for dinner, and ate his mum's famous beef rendang. Then we went for midnight mass. It was only the third time in my life actually attending a midnight mass. Now I know why I do not really like midnight masses, because it is a normal mass, and secondly, it is very crowded as those who do not go to church for the whole year will suddenly turn up on Christmas midnight.

By the time it was eleven at night, the church was jam-packed. There were no more places to sit so we could only stand. Still it was a good sermon and the atmosphere was not too bad, especially with the pre-mass carolling by one of the choirs.

Today I have been invited to lunch at his place. Hopefully I will get to taste the famous Devil's Curry and Sugee cake. Looking forward to another day of feasting!

Have a great day everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...