Lilypie

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sheet Mask Vs Traditional Mask

Recently I have developed an interest in sheet masks. Okay, sheet masks have been around for a long time, ever since the famous brand SK II came up with the mask sheets that people can just put on and throw away after that. Since then, many others came up with those mask sheets soaked in essence or moisturising agents that act as cooling effects, hydration and soothing effects to girls everywhere, particularly in Asia.
 
I showed no interest in those sheet masks. I was sceptical, because to me, how effective are these paper or cloth sheets when one can use clay or mud masks to treat our faces more thoroughly? Even if I go for facial, the therapist will use a heavy going clay / mud pack and slather all over my face in order for the nutrients to penetrate my skin deeply. So how can these paper or cloth sheets be as effective?
 
However, in the last decade, I realise that sheet masks are the way to go. Many of my friends are using sheet masks. Feedback received is that they are convenient, cool you down after a hot day, and your face comes out more moisturised and hydrated than ever, without even the need of a moisturiser.
 
I was still sceptical as I still preferred the traditional way. Still, through the years, sheet masks are propping up everywhere. There are so many brands on the market now, all claiming to be the best and using whichever ingredients that will "change" one's skin. I took all these with a pinch of salt and continued my own skincare routine the way it always is.

A few months back, I received a sample bag, consisting of sheet masks, small bottles of toner and moisturiser, eye patches, shampoo and conditioner, even small perfume bottles. With all the raves about sheet masks, I decided to give it a try, since they were free anyway.
 
My verdict? I like it! The moment I put the sheet on my face, I could feel the coolness of the mask. It really cools down my face, especially in tropical weather like down here. Furthermore, I can rub the essence all over my neck and face, making my skin more moisturised. When I took out the mask, I could actually see my skin getting more hydrated and brighter! So it is a pretty good experience for me!
 
Since then, I have developed an interest in sheet masks. Unfortunately, most sheet masks only come in sets of five or ten, so will not last more than a month. Even though they are relatively cheaper, but still, it is troublesome to keep replenishing. And sheet masks are to be used once or twice a week in order to get the full effects.
 
Whereas for clay or mud masks, it can be used just once a month. Even though a tube may be more expensive, it lasts much longer so may not cost more in the long run. And the effects do show after applying a mud or clay mask.
 
So which is better? Personally, I think it is good to use both. Use the sheet mask once or twice a week, especially before sleeping to sooth and hydrate, and then use the clay or mud pack (or go for a facial) once a month, for deep cleansing and removing of the impurities and blackheads on your skin.
 
A sheet mask is good for a "pick me up" after a long day, or a whole day in the sun. It is also great for soothing of a tired skin. But for a real cleansing effect, I would still prefer a normal facial or a traditional mask.
 
Ah... the joy of being a woman, to have these kind of choices that the men do not get!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...