Lilypie

Monday, August 4, 2008

Decorum In Social Events

I went for another social networking event on Saturday night, consisting of four girls and four guys. This time the group was a quieter group. Seems like everyone was quiet and reserved, and I seemed to be the one that started the ball rolling and talked nineteen to the dozen. The strange thing is that I was only describing the things I like to do and the things I do, when suddenly some of them seem to look at me in awe and started praising me.

I was totally bewildered and embarrassed, as I thought I did pretty normal things? Okay, I know my interests are not the same as many others, but still, it is nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, to many people, they will find me more boring than anything else. In fact, I find the rest of them more admirable, as they have worked in other countries, worldlier and more knowledgeable, with more interesting jobs than me, so when I suddenly had an influx of attention, I was a bit unused to all that glitz.

What amused me was that so far in the few events I had gone to, the guys were actually better-dressed than the girls. Okay, for me, I always wore a dress, or if I came from work, a knit top and a dressier skirt. All the guys I have seen so far were dressed in a normal shirt with jeans, which is normal and appropriate for a "smart casual" occasion.

However, some of the girls were not appropriately dressed. There have been ladies who came in jeans, but if they top it with a chiffon or silk top, it would still be okay. Yet those who came in jeans only wore normal T-shirts. Some had no makeup at all. To me, I feel if you are going out to meet anyone, you should at least dress appropriately and put on some makeup, is it not?

In one of the previous sessions, one of the girls came in bermudas even! That was so unappropriate! Afterall, we are going for a candlelight dinner with a group of people whom we have never met; the least we can do is to wear a dress, is it not? Coming in jeans was already bad enough, not to mention bermuda shorts!

Anyway before the dinner started, there was some kind of ice-breaker where the girls had to put something into a bowl and the guys had to guess which thing belonged to which girl. Previous times, I put out my lip gloss, and the guys could hardly tell as they were figuring why the colour did not tally. I guess they probably did not know that lip gloss are mostly natural! :-p

This time round, I tried something more creative and put out my eyelash curler. Erh... why did I bring along my eyelash curler? I happened to have my makeup kit with me just in case I needed to touch up, so I thought to just put that out. And the guy who picked that had no idea what it was used for! :-p But he still took a stab in the dark and managed to guess that belonged to me (or was it because he thought I was the vainest?).

Overall the dinner was a more sombre and quieter affair, as compared to the previous ones, where we had a ball of a time, laughing and jibing with each other. Perhaps the previous groups were younger? But then again, I had a group that was much older, with the rest mostly in the mid to late thirties, and we were still able to converse well. The group on Saturday were mostly around their early thirties. Yet why did the guys look as if they were in their forties, like those typical "uncle" on the streets? At least the girls did not look that bad!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...