Lilypie

Monday, August 25, 2008

The Price Of Publicity ....

Imagine what a bit of “publicity” does for a person! All of a sudden, people I have not spoken to in ages suddenly touched base with me again. And I mean, really in ages! I do not mean a few months or so, but years! Even then, we were never that close.

All of a sudden, people started talking to me again. It is as if they suddenly remembered my existence. I have had people who said they always wanted to touch base again, but after seeing that article, they thought better to just contact me again.

Hmmmm… how am I supposed to react to that?! That I am so pathetic I need my face to be splashed to three hundred thousand people on this island before people remember me?! In any case, that was just a one off photo touched up by experts; I sure do not look like this everyday!

Not to mention the dubious characters I have dropped, suddenly contacted me again, with - what else! - dubious intentions. Hello, read the article! They are the kinds of people I was raving about!

Because of this, I have to edit my social portal a bit. I suddenly have an influx of weird people asking me to add them in. Who in the world are they? I do not even know them! Their names do not even sound familiar, and pretty weird names as well, like Forrest (Gump?!), Crowe (Russell??) and even Alexisar (erh.. Alexander and Caesar?!).

Alright, that one day of “fame” is not a negative experience. When I went for the photo shoot, I deliberately did not bring along a change of clothes and applied only light makeup, just so the photos would not turn out well and hopefully they would not use the photos. In the end, I was asked to supply some of my own photos. Still, we had to pose and took about a hundred photos. I imagine it must be an upheaval task trying to decide which photo to display (for the other two that is)!

I am not one to be in the limelight, so when I went out yesterday, I saw people actually reading the paper, I hoped no one would recognize me. Some did though. There were some guys who sort of did a double take when I walked by and quickly grabbed the paper, and flipped it to check. There were some who happened to glance in my direction, turned back and suddenly looked in my direction again.

I must say, even though part of me kind of enjoyed the attention, majority of me felt really uncomfortable. Now I know how celebrities feel, get stared at and scrutinized wherever they go. Luckily there was no harm done. Nobody came up and pestered me or anything, so I could go my way in peace.

Never again will I do this! At least if I ever go for another media interview, it better be something more meaningful featured on the mainstream papers, and not some sensational news featured on some tabloid gossip papers! Luckily the papers here are not too bad already – imagine if we are in Hong Kong! That will be horrifying indeed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...