Lilypie

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

N.A.T.O.

No, I am not referring to the organisation, but an acronym for "No Action, Talk Only", although some may feel this reflects the organisation as well. (Hope I will not get thrown to jail for this!) :-p In any case, I have met a few people who are just N.A.T.O., who make empty promises and never keep their word.

A few years ago, when I needed an errand run and I was busy with a few things, someone gallantly offered to help me out. Fine, since he was so enthusiastic, I agreed to let him do it. One week passed and nothing was done. Honestly if I had done it, it would have been done long ago. So I casually asked if he was still willing to do it, if not I would do it. He said, yes, give him time. So another week went by, again nothing was done, so this time round I went ahead and do it.

He was quite upset when he found out, as he thought he was supposed to be doing it. So I told him if I waited for him, it would never get done. The fact that he kept procrastinating showed just how much he valued his word, so in the end I might as well do things on my own. This shows just how dependable and reliable he is, if he cannot even keep his word on a small matter, how can I then trust he will keep his word on something big?

A couple of weeks back, when I was fretting over my recent spate of trouble, an acquaintance got me to confide in him. I never intended to tell him anything, but in order not to create more misunderstanding knowing how simple-minded he can be, I decided to just tell him once and for all. I was not intending for him to help me out or anything, just to get the situation clear so he would not jump to unnecessary conclusions.

He then offered to help me out. I told him he was not obligated to help out, and me telling him does not mean I want his help, but just so he would not assume anything unnecessary. But he made it sound so noble, that he would help out any of his friends in need, said he belongs to those people who will never go for weddings but for funerals as he believes in standing by the side when they are in trouble instead of when they are happy. Right... and he went on to say he will solve everything for me, no worries.

I was rather sceptical actually. Firstly we do not know each other that well, will he really help someone who is but a stranger? Secondly, he made himself sound so noble that it was almost dubious! And he had to add that in the past when he helped people, they had no gratitude. I have had people who are really willing to help me, but they will act on it and not say anything and not expect anything back.

He kept saying about how he would help, yet at the same time expect some kind of gratitude! Of course if he really helped me, I would be grateful and do whatever I can to return the favour, but the thing is if he was really willing to help, then do it with no questions asked and no expectations of any reward whatsoever! Like what Nike says, just do it! No need to even talk so much!

Needless to say, he was only talking, no action was done. If it is anyone else, they would not talk so much but just go ahead and do it. Whereas for him, since that day, he kept calling me up, asking me how I was, etc, but I do not need any words, or anyone to call me, I need real action! And I did not see any action from him. So finally I told him if he is not going to help, then do not promise anything in the first place, and do not call me because I do not need any calls, just action!

Imagine if it is my best friend, she will drop everything to bring me out for dinner, talk to me, ensure I am alright, and help me to the best of her ability. But I have not told her about this because she is busy with her wedding plans and this is a bad time to burden her with anything. Besides, I have given her enough problems as it is. And I have not told anyone else the exact situation as well because everyone has their own problems so I do not wish to burden anyone else.

Still, I always feel if you cannot do whatever you promise, then do not promise and give high hopes to anyone. Be it in doing favours, or being committed to anyone, or helping someone out of a sticky situation. Promise something only if you are able to do it, as in you can talk and have action at the same time, instead of just mere talking with no action. Empty promises only serve to reflect the insincerity and non integrity of a person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...