Lilypie

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Money Management

Last Sunday’s Lifestyle was on the theme of money management. Just in time in light of my recent spate of trouble, particularly Sumiko Tan’s article (as usual). I can totally relate to what she said! Especially the part where she listed down the things she could not do without and the things she could cut down on.

After speaking to my Financial Planner who listed out my expenses for the year (rather horrifying actually, one never really knows how much one spends until one really keeps track of it!), I decided to do up a list as well, in order to build up my nest egg again. So what are the things which I used to spend on?

As a typical girl, I spent on clothes, shoes, accessories, cosmetics, hair and face treatments. And things like movies, discs, food, books, enrichment courses, transport. The things I can do without are gadgets and electronics. So let’s set out everything. Clothes wise, I have enough. I do not need to buy anymore. In fact, besides that one splurge in May during the sale (which I spent about a couple of hundred), I have not been buying clothes for more than a year.

Shoes wise, I am running out of work shoes, so I need to get a pair once and for all. I have been saying I want to get a pair of knee-length boots, but that can wait. I can do without it for now. As for cosmetics, I still have quite a lot of stock, so I can do without any for now. In fact, I have not been buying any makeup for the past year unless I used up the ones I have. Accessories, I have more than enough. After those I bought early last year, I have not been buying anymore accessories, because once you buy them one off, they can kind of last you for a long time.

Hair and face treatments? Well, besides the last rebonding and colouring job more than a year ago, I have not done anything much to my hair. In fact, my mum’s been nagging me to have my hair trimmed, as she said it is too long. And I still go for facials, but every six weeks now instead of once a month. The image consultant I use is pretty good, and the price is rather reasonable too, less than a hundred, not like some who can spend thousands just on facials alone.

I love movies, but even then, I have been cutting down on the shows I have been watching. Food wise, I may indulge once in a while, especially during the weekends, but the rest of the week I hardly eat much except for simple fare during lunch. My daily lunch averages five bucks, making it twenty-five a week, a hundred per month. Those weekend indulgences may average another hundred a month. That is it.

Discs wise, I have not been buying any movie or music discs for half a year at least. As for enrichment courses, the last time I went for a baking course was before Christmas, since then I have not been to any as the workshops are mostly repeated. And I have not been buying books for a year! I have also cut down on all my snacking of chocolate! But I cannot cut down on my school fees because that is beyond my control. So with the increase of fees for next semester, my belt has to be tightened even more.

Transport wise, I try my best to take the train and bus instead of cabs, unless really absolutely necessary. Even then, with the exorbitant amounts public transport fares are, it is hard to cut down on transport, unless I do not go to work at all. Even during weekends, whenever I do go out, sometimes I get rides from friends. Yet my transport expenses still average a couple of hundred a month, even if I do not take a single cab for the month!

The most expensive thing I ever spent on was on overseas trips. Despite the fact that we take the cheapest flights, stay in the cheapest inns and eat the cheapest stuff, due to the currency conversion and the length of time, that still set me back about five thousand bucks. In order to indulge in pleasure trips, I have to scrimp and save even more!

So it seems like I have cut down on quite a lot of stuff, especially those which I can cut down on. Things like transport and food, it is beyond my control, because I cannot control how much the bus company wants to charge, and the food around my office area averages five bucks, even if you order very simple dishes.

As for holidays, I only allow myself that one big indulgence once a year. I am not like my parents who can go travelling several times a year. That one big indulgence is more than enough. But even if I do not go out during the weekends, I still have to spend quite a bit on food and transport the rest of the week.

Since I have cut down on quite a lot of stuff, by right I should be able to manage my finances, if not for the recent loss. And I do not foresee changing my mobile for another couple of years at least, or buying a new MP3 player, especially not a new laptop! That once in a lifetime indulgence on my laptop is more than enough for me! I do not need anything new for now, since I do not foresee actually moving out for a period of time. And I do not use branded shampoo or shower foam, I use whatever my mum gets from the department stores. So I can cut down even more.

So why is it after some serious calculation, my output is still much more than my input? And it is not as if I go high class all the way! This did not seem to be a problem in the past, even if I was out of job for a couple of months or so, I could still survive with what I had. But now when one is really low on funds, one can see just how serious things can be!

I am already aching from the loss of money after the few years of saving due to my bad investment decision, now it seems that even if I have to save all over again, things are so much harder with the really high cost of living and inflation! Oh no…. how I wish I can have a miracle right now to tide me over my difficult times!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...