Lilypie

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Odd Job Labourer?

Nowadays I seriously wonder what I am doing at work. Granted this happened last year, I did all the boxing, scanning, categorizing, sorting, packing while the office was about to be renovated. But last year my remuneration was lesser. And there were only three of us in the team. Even then, I had the former office Administrative Assistant to help me out.

This year, I got a pay raise. And there are now four of us in the team, so I am no longer the lowest ranking of the department. My portfolio is now split between my colleague and I – she will handle the matters of just one country whereas I am handling matters of all other countries, plus financing, taxation, property, billings and banking issues.

So why am I still the only one boxing, packing, categorizing in order to move to the next building in a month’s time? Luckily this year we have an external vendor to scan the documents for us (not that many left unscanned anyway, only the really old ones). And we are using the services of a document management company to archive the old documents (again, nobody told me about that until yesterday, and I had to hear it from my counsel herself!).

Finally they realize we are running out of space! They should have thought of this long time ago! So last Friday, I have packed a total of fifteen boxes to be put in the safe, twenty boxes to be archived, and five boxes to be scanned. Yesterday, I discovered more old documents. Technically those did not belong to us; rather they belonged to some other departments. But because those are original documents and handled by different people in the past, everything was pushed to me (as again)!

More boxing and packing! The thing is, why am I still the only one doing that? Someone else can do this with just a fraction of my pay! This is not in my job scope, neither is it required of me. I am not saying I am above menial tasks, but still, I am hired for more intelligent kinds of job, not a mere labourer. And I definitely have more things to do than a certain colleague of mine whose country’s matters are now at a low peak, so all she does is to surf the net and chat the whole day!

So why did she not even lift a finger to help out? Or is it people just take for granted that since I have done the “dirty job”, so I should do it? Not only that, people do not seem to have eyes to see! After I did some database management, all my documents are stored in the shared network folder. Which means anyone can access and extract what they need. The documents are stored according to country, project, name, date, parties. I even did a list of all the documents and contracts under my charge, about more than a thousand of them!

So why is it each time when someone needed a certain document, they just come to me and expect me to supply them the correct thing immediately? Honestly, all they need is just a little search and they can find what they are looking for! Furthermore, due to the turnover of some departments, I ended up having to clean up the mess as the person who left screwed up on two major property deals. What does that make me now? A lawyer-administrator-sales manager-accountant-translator-labourer and what not in one?

I am very tempted to just take off for a month, and see how others are going to survive without me! Already when I am not in the office, I get calls from people asking about this and that! Is it any wonder why I look so stress all the time? And people blame me for looking so glum? I know I wear my emotions on my face, because I do not like to pretend like others, to be nice and then be nasty after that.

I am not that kind of person, so I do not go around wearing a plastic smile on my face when I do not feel like smiling. So if I am to resign now, I am sure many people here will be glad to be rid of me! So why should I give them the satisfaction? On the other hand, if I can get a more intelligent job with much better prospects and no manual labour involved, perhaps I will just jump. To hell with people who do not appreciate me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...