Lilypie

Friday, March 20, 2009

(Another) Image Revamp!

Alright, I have caved in to temptation again! I just had another image revamp! Considering I have not had a major change in image since mid 2006 (the last hair straightening in 2007 does not count as I needed to get a hairdo anyway before attending my cousin’s Mediterranean wedding), I thought it was time for a change, otherwise I will look the same boring person, which could pass off as “okay” when I was still in my twenties, but which will now become “haggard” at this age.

Alright, why this time? Any special occasion? None whatsoever. No major upheavals, be it in emotional or professional. In fact, things have been rather stagnant lately, save for the rushing of assignments. Hmmm… maybe that is the reason, that I got my brain fried from too much stress and mugging? :-p

I guess the real reason is that I just got sick of how I look like and decided on a change. Besides, if I do not do it this time round, I cannot do it anymore, as I will be snorkeling in Phuket and the hair job needs ample time to settle. Plus, I have to seriously tighten my belt after the Phuket trip in lieu of a pay cut, so I cannot afford to do anything else after that!

My last rebonding job lasted pretty long. In fact, if I did not cut my hair last year, it would have lasted until now. Unfortunately I was having split ends and the highlights were fading, so I needed to cut those off, and my hair curled itself back after that. Since then, for the past half a year or so, I have not had a hair cut, and I am paying for it by having bad hair days almost everyday!

Of course there are things I can do, like intensive conditioner, hair straighteners and treatments, but those are very time-consuming. Normal days I do not have the time for that. The only time I can actually use those are weekends, if I have half a day to myself. So for most days, I end up using just normal shampoo and conditioner. Even though the hair looks straight, it will only last for a few hours the most.

Now, it is perpetually messy, limp, frizzy and wavy. I look like a fright! Where I could just swipe my comb through my hair, now the ends start bundling up again, and I need a hairbrush to get rid of all the mess. Where my hair was soft and silky, now it feels oily and dry at the same time.

So I decided to stop all these trouble and just go for another colouring and rebonding job. I decided on light golden brown this time, with a layered side fringe. I was figuring out where to go for a good and not so expensive hair job. I could go back to the neighbourhood salon I frequent, where they charge me less than half the price of what the more established salons charge, with lasting and good effects.

However, they will not do a colouring and rebonding job on the same day. I do not have the time to keep going back. I am having a party next week, and my hair needs to be ready by then. So I asked around and searched for a place where they give good colouring and rebonding jobs, all in one day!

Finally, I stumbled upon a forum and saw that a certain chain of salons give pretty good service, and the price is very reasonable too! Of course, I do not expect the price to be as low as the neighbourhood salon, but it is not that much of a difference, definitely lower than if I am to go to any of the established ones!

I wanted to go tomorrow, but I figured why wait? The earlier I get it done, the more time it can take to settle before it gets exposed to the salt water. So I decided to go down after work today. The only thing is I was not sure if they would be willing to open late, as by the time I went down, it would have been at least around six in the evening.

I gave the salon a call after lunch, and was told I could go down around six and do a hair colouring, trimming and rebonding job in one! That would take me at least four or five hours, which means, by the time I was done, it would be almost close to midnight! What made me feel good is that the salon actually closes at eight today, but the stylist was willing to stay for me! Now that is good customer service indeed!

I was a little late reaching there though due to the heavy traffic around town. Still, when I reached there, the stylist put me under steam, gave me a special cream for a soft rebond job, then straightened my hair using hair straighteners, before applying the final cream to make it sleek and straight.

The next step is to choose a colour. The colour palette I was given did not seem that accurate, so I tried to describe the colour I wanted as concise as possible. Luckily the hairstylist understood my description and gave me a light copper brown, with golden highlights. Not really the desired effect, but close enough.

Finally, she put a special hair masque on my hair to protect it from all the chemicals and treatments. The package itself includes a special shampoo and conditioner, but I had to get a hair masque as an extra in order to give my hair an intensive conditioner once a week. All in all, it was still within budget!

No one save for my family members have seen me in my new image. Wonder if this experiment succeeds or fails? The salon gave good service and a satisfactory hair job, but to be honest, I think I will go back to the usual neighbourhood salon I go to in the future, because the standard of the hair job I do there is on par (perhaps even better) with the established salons, the hairstylist knows my taste and the owner still charges me special rate after all these years!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...