Lilypie

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Concept Of Mind Mapping

Just finished a mind mapping assignment. I have learnt about mind mapping years ago at a holiday study camp, but I never did master it, as I always thought how is anyone to remember anything if there is only one word per branch?

Mind mapping is to tap into both your left and right brains. Since I have always been a right-brainer (or no-brainer), concepts and analytics do not work for me. Hence, I have to use colours, images and stories to help me out. During university years, I discovered that in using colours to write my notes, it really helps me, as I recall the colour and immediately I was able to remember the facts!

This works especially well in heavy-going subjects with lots of facts to remember, like History, Law, Psychology, and general humanities subjects. Some people can remember just by reading the notes and textbooks without needing to make their own notes, whereas someone like me who never has a good memory need to rely on colours and images.

Back when I was doing law, a tutor taught us concept mapping. Concept mapping is different from mind mapping. Concept mapping is to write the topic on top of the paper, then from there branch out into the different points. Each key word is in a box, and you link the key words together with other key words. That helps a bit in understanding the topic, but not as useful in remembering facts.

This semester, I have to do a mind mapping module. After going through the lectures and tutorials, I realise that it is not as easy as it looks to master the concept of mind mapping. The rules are very stringent. First, the paper has to be plain, devoid of lines, images and background. And it has to be landscape size.

Second, the central image has to be something that is the core of the topic. One look at the central image and anyone can tell what the topic is about. Third, the lines of the first main branch must be thick, and thinner secondary branches. Lines must be as long as the word in each branch.

Fourth, there should be only one word per branch. The key word in the main branch has to be big caps, the rest can be in small letters. Fifth, different colours are to be used. We were told to use at least four different colours. Sixth, the structure of the mind map has to be such that every branch follows through, and one look at the mind map one can remember the whole topic.

Whoa.. that is hard indeed! No wonder I always tend to fail where mind maps is concerned! I can never get the perfect mind map! Nevertheless, the topic opens my eyes up to what needs to be done, so hopefully my studies can go by easier and smoother!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...