Lilypie

Friday, March 13, 2009

Rubber Legs On Ice!

The first ice-skating lesson went by pretty smoothly, for someone of my standards. I am not a sports person, so being able to cruise round the ice and balance on the skates is actually better than expected already, considering how many times I fell on the ski slopes.

Some people feel skiing is easier, as all one needs to do is to strap on the skis and slide down the slopes by the force of gravity, whereas skating one has to move with the skates. I beg to differ. I feel skating is easier. It is such a chore strapping on the skis with all the snow in the first place! Whereas for skating, it is much easier putting on skates (just like normal shoes), and standing and balancing on the ice rink.

In any case, I managed to cruise a few rounds. There were times when I felt like stumbling, but I quickly held on to the railings. My friend-cum-coach and another friend guided me along, but most times I was left alone and was able to just cruise round without needing to hold on to anything! Of course I could not move as fast as I liked, but at least I managed to go a few rounds with only one fall!

In the rink, I saw a few kids doing spins and twirls all on their own! It was as if they were doing ballet on ice! That was what got me interested in ice-skating in the first place, all those years ago, when I saw how people could do pirouettes on the ice!

My friend said I seemed to be doing well, and after about ten lessons, I should be able to skate with spins and whatnots. I can hardly wait for it! Ten lessons consistently, and perhaps I can really skate well! Hmmm.. after the skiing last year, skating this year, maybe I really should go diving next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...