Lilypie

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mix And Mingle

More and more dating agencies have set up online services. Out of curiosity, I went in to take a look, and seems like quite a number have success stories. My friend recently met a lady online from one of these services. Why is it so easy for people?

I have dabbled in online services for a couple of years, and it has not worked for me. Nine out of ten people are dubious, they are only interested in getting laid, and not interested to even make decent conversation. The one out of ten who are decent, we met up once or twice and that was it, they never bother keeping in contact after that.

It is the same with those dating agencies. Of course, with dating agencies things are better as the people are more decent and really hoping to meet more people and expand one's social circle. Afterall, I do not think anyone pays so much just to fool around. So I have made some friends from that channel, but at the end of the day, still nothing.

In any case, this year I am being rather involved in things. The Revel event was a let down, not because it was not fun, but because I did not manage to meet interesting people. I was saddled with a kid the whole night! The Bedazzled event was also kind of a letdown for me, because I happened to be at a table where the ladies were so quiet and the guys were so irritating.

Yet one really never knows. I went over to my friend's table after the event, intending to ask him if he would like to go for drinks after that. Those at my table scattered after that, no one bothered to mingle and stay on for supper or drinks, everyone just rushed off. What is the point of going to events like these intending to know more people when you rush off at the first opportunity, without even bothering to mix and mingle?

Anyway, half of the people at my friend's table was still around, so we ended up chatting. Most of the guys were gone though, only the girls were left, save for my friend and another guy. We started conversing and then went out for drinks after that. We even exchanged numbers! So it ended up that it was the girls at my friend's table whom I have been keeping in touch with.

Then they had a gathering last month after the event, and asked me to go along. From there I met the other guy who was at the table. As with events like these, along the way people do not bother following up, but I must say this group is pretty lively. They meet up and take part in activities. Even the guy who is very quiet, he makes the effort to mingle and go out with the rest of us, as he says otherwise he will just be stuck at his computer at home.

And from there, some of us went ice-skating, and on Saturday, they will be coming to my place for the gathering. Not to mention another gathering next month after my friend and I return from Phuket.

So you really will not know what kind of people you come across! People can become friends over any kind of circumstances, and from there, perhaps some may find their other halves, perhaps some may make even more friends and eventually find someone, and some may just enjoy having friends without finding anyone. At the end of it all, one really will not know who will come into your life at the most unexpected times!

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Hi Juphelia,

Your post reminded me of the times not too long ago when I attended speed date and single events.

I never really made any real friends at these events except for one girl whom I met at a dinner party for singles. In the end that girl and I stopped going altogether because it was a waste of time and money :-)

Great blog, btw!

juphelia said...

Hi, thanks for dropping by! Well, speed date events do not work for me, but at least I've made some friends through singles events. Hopefully there will be more good luck to come! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...