Lilypie

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bookworm Deluxe : The Best I Could

I just finished reading this book by a prominent criminal lawyer. Pretty inspiring, and a different angle to the case(s) than what was reported in the papers. Having always been interested in criminal law and justice, I bought this book the moment it came out in the stores.

The book highlights his life, his childhood, how he stumbled into law and into criminal law, his first case, his health, his more prominent cases, his university years and the important people he met and rubbed shoulders with.

I have wondered about the man behind the cases. I have wondered why he would want to take on "hopeless" cases. Why must he defend those who obviously committed the crime, in the hope of getting them off scot free? Is it because of money?

Then when I read the book, at least according to him, most of the cases the client's families have no money to pay his full fees. So either he told them to go to the State to request for his services, in which case the State will pay him, or else reduce his fees. Hmmm....

Then as I read on, I realise that as a lawyer, and a criminal defence lawyer, his is not to question whether the client is guilty or not. He just wants the client to tell the truth to him and in court. Cases where the clients are obviously guilty, he will encourage them to plead guilty. He just tries his best and then leave it to the judge to hand out the final verdict.

I must say, after reading the book, our local justice system is fair and unbiased indeed! Which is why criminals seldom get away, and we have the highest number of executions per capita, for countries that still practice the death penalty.

Judging from some of his defences, he is really brilliant! I guess he does not become who and what he is by screwing up cases and making a mess in court! If I were to become a Deputy Public Prosecutor as initially thought, I would have the chance of meeting him in court, and perhaps get my evidence shredded and thrown out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...