Lilypie

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Being Chummy With Authority ...

People know I am not one who is comfortable with authority. I mean, I am on good terms with immediate supervisors (most of the time anyway), but I tend to be more wary against higher authority. My friend has told me not to worry because those higher authorities are also human, and they asking to talk may not necessary bode trouble.

Still when the Managing Director summoned me to his room yesterday, I had a panic attack. All the more so since my company is now getting rid of staff at the slightest thing, and the Human Resources Manager just stepped out of his room before he asked for me. Any situation like that, I would think I was in trouble, especially for those who know who is the one behind all those politics.

In any case, because he summoned me, I could not not go, so I went in quietly. It turned out that he just wanted to brief me on certain areas I need to follow up on. I was done in a few minutes. Whew! That was a big relief!

Alright, I was scaring myself again, but in times like these, everyone is holding on to their seats, and being summoned to see a higher authority who would otherwise normally not talk to you is not something to look forward to.

I do notice a trend though. The Managing Director, the senior directors, they have no qualms talking to someone like me, who is like five ranks below them. Yet someone who is just one or two ranks above me, refuse to talk to me and always convey messages through third parties, which is rather inconvenient because the messages may end up distorted.

It seems like the higher you go, the more humble you are. Of course there are other extremes, but I guess in general, those who are able to reach that rank should be someone broad minded with high levels of IQ and EQ in the first place.

Which explains why those who are mid-ranked tend to throw their weight around, because they think they can rise up thus start bullying those below them. But if they are really capable, they would not remain stuck in that rank all these while without rising further!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...