Lilypie

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A New Beginning To An End

I start at my new company today. I was asked to come in at ten in the morning, then the Human Resource Executive orientated me on the company's structure and benefits policy. The benefits here is much better than my previous place! Then I was brought to introduce to the staff in the office.

When I reached my desk, everything was cleared. My laptop was set up, my phone had been personalised with my name and extension on the LCD screen. For two years, I had been requesting for my own laptop because everyone else in the previous place had one except me, but in the end I gave up the idea because I was able to work remote anywhere. Now when I actually have my own laptop at work, I feel stressed as that means I have to bring work home!

I cannot help but compare. In my previous workplace, on my first day, there was not even a place for me! I ended up sitting in the store room! And my computer did not arrive until a few days later! I was not introduced to anyone, until my then boss had to bring me around, but even then, he only introduced me to those we would be dealing with. For half a year no one knew I existed.

This place seems more professional in comparison. For lunch, my colleagues of the same department brought me out and we had pasta. Apparently the General Counsel who is based in Hong Kong heads three departments, so I got to meet those from the other departments too. And this time round, I am working with more guys!

Coincidentally, the Legal Counsel sitting behind me happens to be my senior when I was doing law. I do not know him personally, but the intake had always been small, so we end up knowing everyone else by sight. He looks vaguely familiar at least!

My immediate supervisor is on medical leave today, so I ended up looking through the employee benefits booklet and ensuring my stationery is well-stocked, and I can send and receive emails. The General Counsel called me from Hong Kong just to ask how I am doing. How nice of him!

I really hope this place will be a new beginning - a new beginning to an end, or the end of a new beginning?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...