Lilypie

Friday, May 8, 2009

Simple Indulgences Are The Greatest Pleasures

I seem to have lost touch with the simple pleasures in life. I am not sure how long it has been when I go out for a late dinner or supper at a hawker or food centre with friends, just eating, drinking and chatting. By eating, I mean comfort food like local fare. By drinking I mean soft drinks or herbal tea. And dress code? Casual! As in T-shirt, bermudas or track pants. With a sling bag, and no makeup whatsoever!

At times I have no idea what kind of image I project to others, especially in recent years. A friend asked me the other day when we went to a nice hawker centre for dinner, if I eat in hawker centres. So I said, "Yes, I do!" Well I grow up on hawker fare too! Maybe for the past years I have been hanging out with people who prefer the cosiness of a restaurant ambience and air-conditioning, drinks at lounges or bars, so others may think of me as an upper crust or high maintenance girl.

But I love a decent plate of fried noodles, fish soup, oyster omelette, carrot cake, and other kinds of comfort food like local fare. I kind of miss this stall selling chicken rice for a dollar a plate which someone and I used to go, but I have not been there for years! Or the carrot cake with anchovies which happens to be down my neighbourhood but I have not been there for years too!

Yes, I do enjoy life and indulge a bit, I do enjoy the company of nice friends in a cosy ambience, but at the end of it all, I love the simple things in life too! I love hanging out with friends in a casual environment, just enjoying simple fare. Afterall, it is not the place that matters, it is the company that matters. If I enjoy the company, I will not mind even if I am stranded at the centre of the earth with nothing but soil!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...