Lilypie

Monday, May 25, 2009

An Overdose Of Movies?

I was in a sappy mood (what is new lately?) for the weekend so ended up with a movie marathon. First I went to watch the long awaited for “Angels and Demons” and then “Night At The Museum 2” with a friend.

Then I went to buy movie discs, of shows which I have watched but wanted to re-watch, as well as shows which I have not watched but always wanted to watch. So I ended up becoming a couch potato the rest of Saturday and part of Sunday. I bought “Big Fish”, “Hairspray”, “Before Sunset” and “After Sunset”, “X-Men” trilogy, “P.S. I Love You”, “Australia” and “Love In The Time Of Cholera”.

Saturday night I started with “Big Fish”. When I first watched the show, I remember it as a heart-warming show, with an almost fairytale like quality to it. It kind of reminds me that sometimes, one should indulge in fantasy in order to live a life. Now that I re-watched it again, the meaning is so much clearer. A beautiful show of a father’s love for his son, a man’s unwavering and determined love for his wife, and an individual’s love for the people around him.

Do you want to be a big fish in a lake, with people cheering you on? Or do you want to be one of those people cheering on a big fish? Do you want to help others with no strings attached, trying your best in whatever you do, or do you want to be a loser who is always sitting in the shadows? I guess at the end of the day, the impact you had on others reflect on the way people help you out when in need and the turn out at your own funeral.

Then I went on to “Australia” and the “X-Men” trilogy. “Australia” is also a moving show on the assimilation of Aborigines into white culture, and the colonialisation of the place, which the government gave up around the 1970s. Australia may be a relatively new country, but it is amazing what the migrants can do in just a hundred years or so.

Watching “X-Men” again refreshes my mind to the shows, and it made watching the recent “Wolverine” much better, since everything is now better connected. I must say, “Wolverine” is pretty well-made, since it about clears off the confusion and the transition to “X-Men”. At least audiences will have a better picture on how Wolverine became Wolverine.

Next up was “Hairspray”. Only one word – stupendous! The singing, dancing, choreography, everything about the show was excellent! Not to mention the fat suit and big hair which Mr Grease himself cross-dressed in. :-p No wonder people say the sixties is a totally cool and hip era! Now I think I was born twenty years too early. :-(

Finally it was “P.S. I Love You”, about the perfect love story between a couple. They met each other when she was on a holiday, and settled into domestic bliss after marriage. It was no easy marriage, since they had their little quarrels and disagreements, but when he died, she could hardly keep her life going.

However, he sensed it would be what she would be going through, so he would write her letters and messages to arrive after his death, and each letter sent her on a new adventure, something he wanted her to do but she never had the guts to. Along the way, she realized that a caring family and wonderful girl friends helped a lot. Finally, she managed to move on and fall in love again.

After watching the show, I started sniffling again. It is really a wonderful thing to have someone love and understand you so well! And to have the person love you enough to want you to go on with your life, even without him. To let go of the past and move on to embrace a better future for yourself. If I find someone like that, I will not mind even dying for him!

It is not the end yet though. I still have “Star Trek” (which those who have watched are all raving about it) and “Young Victoria” tonight, then finish up with the Sunset movies, culminating in “Love In The Time Of Cholera” as the finale. Alright, I am an official nutcase after this! ;-p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...