Lilypie

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brink Of A (Religious) War?

I never like to talk about religion (except my own journey in my faith) as I always view religion as a freedom of choice. Hence even though I may share my own struggles and beliefs about my faith, I do not go around preaching or converting others.

Nor do I write so much about others' religious beliefs as this has always been a sensitive issue. I do not like it if others challenge my beliefs too.

But after the recent burning of churches in a neighbouring country and the withdrawal of a "piggy" figurine by a fast food conglomerate due to sensitivity of a certain religion, not to mention the few cases of terrorism, I cannot help but wonder just what is being taught in that religious studies?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought all religion, no matter what, despite their own practices and restrictions, have one thing in common - tolerance and respect.

Essentially religion teaches people to do good and be nice to others. Okay, religion or not, everyone should do good and be nice to others, but having a religion is like having a hope and belief that there is a higher being who can help and guide us in our lives.

I do not think any religious book in whichever language teaches murder, protest and killing of innocent lives. Yet wars have been fought due to differing beliefs.

Like the Crusaders and the Ottomans. The expulsion of Ottomans from olden Spain (when it was still divided into regions of Castile, Leon, Aragon and other smaller lands).

And of course the most famous war - the Holocaust of the Jews and bombing of the synagogues in Europe.

The mass migration from India to Pakistan, led by Nehru. Even closer to home, there was the racial riots of the 1960s. And who can forget 911?

Many a war have been started simply because some people who represented certain religions tried to stand up for what they felt was right and wanted to get what they felt they deserved.

But (to me at least), these people, admirable they were from another perspective, forgot that the fundamental aspect of any religion is to have peace and harmony. And that was why so many religious wars have been fought.

So it is not the religion that is the problem, but the people who believe and misconstrued the messages and teachings.

Is that why there are signs of an upcoming apocalypse? After all a lot of things said in the Book of Revelations are coming true - animals getting sick one after another, weather being cranky which in turn affects the climate and seasons, and so on.

If that is really going to happen, then everyone would have to make a clean start and start from the cavemen times again!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...