Lilypie

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Volunteer Briefing For Youth Olympics

This year's major event is the Youth Olympics. My school was looking for volunteers so I signed up for it and went for the briefing earlier.

Apparently the benefits for volunteers are rather appealing. I do not mean in monetary terms as we are all unpaid (that is why it is called "volunteers") but in terms of welfare.

I was told the committee would screen volunteers and call them for interviews and training before finally deciding which role. In short, volunteers may not get the roles they wanted.

Each volunteer is for a period of five to seven days. I hope I get it! This is after all a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so it will look really good on my vitae if I get the chance to be part of it.

I did contemplate whether I can have the time given the commitments I already have. Right now I have lessons on Mondays, Tuesdays and some Saturdays, Catholicism class on Thursdays and Cathechism on Sundays, not to mention the CHOICE weekends and the meetings for Asian Conference.

This will be my schedule until the third week of May when my examination ends. Then there will be a break in June until the next semester starts in August.

Come June, there will be the Cathechist Retreat and the Engaged Encounter which we will be attending. Then the CHOICE Asian Conference in October.

So if I am also involved in the Youth Olympics, it will be in August. Which means this year will be never-ending for me.

But if I do not do these now, I may not have a chance to do it again. The CHOICE Asian Conference may occur next year or the year after next, but it may not be held here, hence no chance to be involved in the preparation work.

The Youth Olympics may come back here again, but if I have started a family then, I will not have the time to volunteer anymore.

Thus if I intend to participate in anything, this is the time. It is always best to strike while the iron is hot as opportunity may never come your way again.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...