Lilypie

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Off The Beaten Track ...

There is a stretch along the west side of the island which is pretty grassy and deserted. One side is a whole area of old colonial houses (some have been converted to eating places where yuppies and expatriates like to hang and chill out) and the other side is an old housing estate. The two sides are separated by the railway track flanked by the deserted grass patch.

We were there some time last week for a meal. After leaving we wanted to walk to the train station. The shortcut is through the grassy patch.

After all my life living here, I never know that stretch exists! From the colonial houses, we have to walk down a flight of stairs leading to a path. The path leads into a deserted patch full of sand, grass and trees.

The path is quiet and unlit. I saw someone coming from the opposite direction actually holding a flashlight just to see the way!

At the end of the deserted path, we have to step over a drain to another grassy deserted area. The railway tracks leading to Malaysia came in sight. We crossed over the railway tracks and came to a field.

At the end of the field there was a gate and when we went out of the gate, there was a clump of trees, after that it was the end (or the beginning) of the housing estate.

The total time taken to cross that entire stretch is probably less than ten minutes, but I thought I had stepped back in time! One never expects there will be such places here as that stretch really reminds me of our neighbouring countries!

It is as if we have gone off the beaten track! But it is a good thing because after all the urbanization and globalization, at least there is still one part that reminds us of the days of old and allows us to commune with nature. It is a good stretch to just have a stroll and enjoy the greenery, even though there is not much scenery to speak of.

For those interested to explore, it is that stretch linking the Portsdown area to Tanglin Halt. In between these two areas there is a part that looks suspiciously like Malaysia.

There are hardly any lights though so it would be good to bring a flashlight during the night. Although my dear says I can never go there during the night time, at least not by myself!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Uncle Lee said...

Hello Juphelia, came across your Blog by chance.
Very interesting read your posting.
I used to know Singapore very well, so much so almost married a Singapore lady too.

I sure love ECP, Bedok for its Seafood, Orchard road, North Bridge road and that big iron market downtown fairly close to Harbour front.

Oh ya, wonder whether Change Alley still around?
Used to bang my head against all the displays hanging up.

You have a great weekend, stay young and keep a song in your heart.
Best regards, Lee.
PS, I love your name. Pronouncing it makes the moon rise an hour early, *wink*.

juphelia said...

Haha.. think you're before my time. As far as I know, there's hardly anymore seafood in Bedok, and I don't remember an iron downtown market in Harbourfront. The era I grew up in is already quite cosmopolitan, with tall office buildings and flats aplenty, which is a pity as I'd have loved to see the old sights!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...