Lilypie

Monday, January 11, 2010

Catholicism 101

After our induction as Cathechists yesterday, the coordinator recommended a course for us called Catholicism 101 - A Searcher's Introduction To Catholic Teaching.

This course is organised by the local Pastoral Institute and taught by priests and sisters. It will start in early February and go on all the way until mid-November.

The course is divided into five modues : Scripture, Jesus Christ, The Church, Liturgy and Sacraments, and Morality. There will also be two retreats in between the modules.

The first module, Scriptures, covers the importance of Scriptures, how to read and interpret the Bible, why the Hebrew Scriptures are still in use, Gospels and Paul's letters.

The second module, Jesus Christ, covers the importance, how He was portrayed, what did the early Church believe, how did the belief evolve over time and what is the relevance for today.

The third module, The Church, covers the Church being described as a Mystery, who belongs, how the hierarchy works, roles of priests, religious and lay people and relationship between the Church and world.

The fourth module, Liturgy and Sacraments, covers how Catholics worship, what sacraments are and how they work, how one becomes a fully initiated Catholic, ordination and marriage and how to restore relationship with God.

The fifth and final module, Morality, covers "Golden Rule" and where it comes from, evil and sin, justice and freedom, personal morality, social justice and the ten principles of social teaching.

Initially I was wondering whether to go. This is not a free course, a nominal amount has to be paid, but for such an intensive course, the fees are very reasonable. There are others that charge ten times the amount and yet not as intensive.

My main concern is time. I am not sure if I can find the time with Cathechism and my own lessons starting soon.

However I have resolved to improve my faith and be more involved in religious activities. This course does come in useful.

Besides, attending this course helps me in the lesson preparation for Cathechism too, so it is beneficial. Hence I have decided to sign up.

The course will commence in February and conducted on Thursdays. I hope I will be able to cope. This is really going to be a very busy year ahead!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

Good luck Juphelia!

Many years ago I signed up for "The Bible in 100 Weeks" programme. It was tiring having to attend classes every Wednesday evening but the knowledge and insights gained made the effort totally worth it!

juphelia said...

Thank you! Yeah, I thought the knowledge would benefit me greatly, hence decided to sign up for it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...