Lilypie

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haitian Victims Need Our Help!

It had been more than a week since the earthquake hit Haiti. I am not familiar with this island, except for hearsay that it is a place where voodooism is rampant. Initially, I thought it was the place where James Bond went to in "Live Or Let Die" until I realised it was another place.

In any case, the Caribbean islands do not hold much appeal to me, except Trinidad and Tobago, although Cuba holds a lot of appeal to my dear, as he always said he would like to go there and check out the Cuba cigars (what else?) and dance salsa! (Just in case you are wondering, no, he does not smoke. Not now at least. He used to be a social smoker, but when he knew I abhor smokers, he automatically stops smoking.)

Anyway it is always terrible the way disasters strike. It can happen any where, any time. No one knew that a tsunami would sweep over our neighbouring countries so easily and massively, and all the historical structures that took years to build, were all wiped out within minutes.

No one knew a hurricane would blow across a country, rendering hundreds homeless. Or that an earthquake would occur and made many more injured. In times like these, I wish I can do more to help, but time and finance is not on my side.

I am not saying I should not help, but only the rich can afford to drop everything, go to the disaster sites and render real assistance. People like me need to eke out a living, and if I go away for months on end, who is going to feed me if I have no job left?

But I do feel for the disaster victims. The innocent lives taken away just because of the massive shaking and opening up of the ground. I am lucky to be in a place away from natural disasters (even the tsunami bypassed us and went further north, despite all our immediate neighbours being quite badly hit). So I keep telling myself I should not take for granted.

Hence, for those of you who would like to help in anyway, please contact the International Medical Corps. Hopefully a few would heed the call and help the disaster victims!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...