Lilypie

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Story Of A Hero

In recent years, the movies I have watched do not tug at my heartstrings anymore. They are just that - movies, where one sees for leisure.

Yes, I have come across good shows. Most of the shows I have watched either leave a warm after taste or they inspire me or they make me feel good all over. Still I do not get emotionally involved like I used to, even though there are a few shows that really touch me.

Until yesterday. I actually sobbed my eyes out in the theatre. I could not stop crying until my dear had to whip out his handkerchief as well as use his sleeve to wipe my tears away. I daresay almost everyone in the theatre were crying too. I felt as if someone turned on the taps in my eyes and could not turn it off.

So what triggered off all the tears? We went to watch the dog show Hachiko. Initially I did not intend to watch until I discovered it was starring Richard Gere. Plus the show is about a dog and its master.

The puppy in the poster looks so adorable and I cannot really resist Richard Gere so we decided to watch it, thinking it was another feel-good kind of show.

How wrong I was! The story is actually based on a true story of how an Akita puppy found its master. It followed its master to the train station every morning while the guy went to work, and would be there at five every evening to greet its master back from work and accompanied him home. Rain or shine, snow or hail, it would always be there.

One day the master passed away and did not make the train home. The dog still waited for him faithfully. Even though it might or might not have known its master would never be coming back, it still went to the station every morning and evening without fail to wait for its master.

Needless to say, word got around and the dog became famous. It went under the care of the people around the station like the station master, hot dog vendor, the butcher, the bookstore owner, who gave it food and water.

This went on for the next ten years until the dog's own demise. Its master never came back and the dog never saw him again. Now the spot where the dog waited in front of the station has a statue erected in its memory.

How can anyone not cry after watching the show? I think there was nary a dry eye in the theatre when the closing credits came on. My tears started flowing down even in the midst of this post!

To me, the dog is a true hero. Its love and loyalty to its master exceeds even the kind of true love one human has for another. All the more I simply cannot fathom why some people can bear to abuse animals or treat their pets badly. At least a dog will not bite the hand that feeds it, which is more than I can say for certain humans!

Yesterday after watching the show, I went home and hugged my dog. I am letting my dog sleep with me from now on, no matter what my mum says!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

This is a very famous story in Japan.

And yep, I've posed beside Hachiko at Shibuya Station :D

juphelia said...

You did?! How envious! Next time I go Japan, I must pose with its statue too! A pity I missed it the last time I went, even though I dropped by Shibuya.

Julie Lim said...

Like they say - "Dogs are men's best friends" ...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...