Lilypie

Monday, January 18, 2010

First Day Of Cathechism

Yesterday was my first day as a Cathechist. I went into the classroom at the stipulated time and found most of the kids already seated and waiting.

I was apprehensive initially. Afterall it had been so long since I last stepped into a classroom full of kids. Besides kids nowadays are no longer as well-behaved as before. They now listen to mass media and computer games more than their parents and teachers.

So I went into the class without knowing what to expect. Luckily there are three other cathechists who are experienced enough to lead me throughout so I was not totally lost too!

Since it was the first lesson, we took attendance, asked the kids to introduce themselves and we introduced ourselves in turn. Then we settled some administrative matters and briefed them on mass procedures.

These are ten to eleven year old kids, so they are already articulate and sensible, but not too old to be really rebellious yet.

Facing the class made me kind of miss the classroom and teaching kids. Somehow I think the corporate world, despite making me a bit more street smart, also kills off the childlike side of me, which I hope can rekindle with these kids.

I believe I am going to love this. Really looking forward to the weeks ahead!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Richard said...

Good for you.

I have about 20 kids (around 5-7) I teach. Last Sunday, the priest came to the class. At the end of the class he asked me how I manage the kids (I have 3 wonderful assistants and I can have a vert LOUD voice if I need to), but mostly I just try to have fun (besides, this was the best behaved class we had since classes started in September - we rearranged some of the troublesome kids).

Are you using a particular program or winging it? I always wing it.

juphelia said...

We are supposed to go according to a lesson plan. For my class they will be doing the Sacraments, so for this year, the lessons will revolve around themes and Sacraments, incorporating Good Friday, Easter, Lent and Advent.

However from my experience, it is better not to follow the lesson plan too closely and just go with the flow, or wing it like you said.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...