Lilypie

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Officially A Cathechist!

Today happened to be Cathechical Sunday and the day of induction of Cathechists. This morning there was an Annual General Meeting for Cathechists, followed by the induction mass and a buffet lunch after that.

When the call came asking for Cathechists last year, something inside me told me to go ahead. I did not know what it was then. Perhaps it was a calling to improve my faith, or go to church more often. After all, one cannot teach fully if one does not lead by example, right?

I had no idea why, but I pulled along a good friend (now my boyfriend) to see if he was interested. Before we knew it, I would be taking on Primary Five Level and he Confirmation Level.

So today, the new Cathechists were asked to sit at the front pew, just behind the wardens. When the priest called out our names to receive the badges, we had to go on stage in front of the whole congregation, where the priest told the parents to look carefully as we would be the ones to teach their children.

After the induction mass, I felt somewhat excited and honoured. But this is the start of a heavy commitment. As I have learnt in my years in the education industry, anything to do with kids is a heavy responsibility.

It is our job to guide them, nurture them, be a facilitator, someone they look up to and respect, someone they trust and their parents trust and be assured they are in good hands with.

It is never easy handling kids, but since I have made the commitment, I will just try my best to make everything work out for the best.

The term officially starts next week. I am sure looking forward to meeting the kids! Primary Five topics focus on Sacraments.

I must confess, I myself am not that sure what Sacraments are. But that is why we learn. We learn from the kids just like they learn from us. And I believe anyone who has handled kids in any way would agree that we actually gain more from them than they from us!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...