Lilypie

Monday, February 4, 2008

Another "Complaint" Forum!

I have said lots about our locals in general, mostly in a negative light. Think one of these days I may just be banished from the island altogether for being unpatriotic, in which case I may just join my aunt and uncle in Sydney, or take up sheep farming in New Zealand, or move to the English countryside and be a full-time writer / bed and breakfast owner.

But honestly, the way people behave are really weird! No other words to describe, except for weird. Just like when I was attending a pre-course briefing a few weeks back, the briefing was supposed to be for those who may have questions regarding the structure, or syllabus, or what to expect.

Yet why did it turned out to be a complaint forum, as always? There were people who said they have to struggle with a full-time job, family, and now part-time studies, so if the university is really one who understands the toils of working adults and cater the curriculum accordingly, why do they still have to take on so many modules and the course is so intensive? Furthermore, since it is being conducted part-time, how far will it be recognised as compared to full-time courses?

Erh... since when is any university course not intensive? Even more so since the school has recently (in the past couple of years) been given the status of "fourth university", so all the more the standards of the courses have to be on par with international level, as befitting any reputable university.

Besides, they could choose whether to take up the course, how many modules to take. No doubt one lecture and tutorial session is intensive (three hours or more), but we only need to attend classes once a week if we are only taking one module, as compared to other part-time courses where the classes run everyday or three times a week.

So if they chose to take up the course, chose the number of modules to take up, why complain? We can only take a maximum of two major modules and one minor module per semester anyway. There are other courses in other institutions that require four modules per semester, even for part-time!

Perhaps I am in no position to say anything, since I complain a lot too, but well, if it is something I chose to do, I will proceed with it without any complaints. Just like when I did law, I got to a stage where I was really unhappy, so I chose to quit rather than hold on and then rave and rant.

Even when I was in NIE, I chose to take on more modules and heavy-going subjects and ended up with more assignments and examination papers than my peers, yet I chose to endure and lived with it rather than rave and rant.

So if people have made their choice, why complain so much? If they were not comfortable with the course or structure or syllabus in the first place, they could choose not to enter the course, is it not?

I really admire my parents. When my dad was taking his Masters in Business Administration, my first brother was just born, we just shifted place and he was working in my granduncle's company as a General Manager.

I was still too young to know what was going on, but my mum really supported him. She made sure that his flask of hot water and coffee was at his desk every night, ensured that the desk was cleared and his stationery was intact. I used to see my dad mugging away into the night, while my mum took care of us, supervised my homework, read me stories.

Then when my mum was taking her Masters, complete with a full-time job as a high-ranking government servant, with her daughter in tertiary, her youngest son taking his PSLE and her elder son about to go overseas to study, and her husband always away, I believe it was much harder for her.

So my dad and I helped her as much as we could, by typing and printing out her written assignments (she did all the research and compilation herself of course!), not disturbing her at night and during weekends when she would be studying, and my dad would drive her back from campus and to her tutorial mate's place whenever he was using the car.

Part-time studies is hard, and for those with families, it is even harder. The family support must really be there. At least I am lucky in a way that I do not have the family burden to speak of at this point in time. Perhaps if I ever pursue my Masters or doctorate in the future, will my future partner and family be just as supportive?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...