Lilypie

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pursuing A Performance Certificate

This year, one of my resolutions is to be a better person and be more focused on what I want out of life. Which is why I decide to take on more modules in my course and started praying more and going for Novena.

Another thing I want to focus on is music. I have always been passionate about playing music, especially since the death of my late music teacher. But other things keep coming up. So I have decided that since I am no longer singing and dancing, why not take the time to focus on actual piano playing?

Thus I have decided to pursue a performance certificate in piano. Since I have completed Grade 8 a long time ago, I have to go for a qualifying test to see if I am competent enough to take up the performance qualifications.

The test will be on 5th March and comprises of two contrasting repertoires, sight reading and scales. Honestly, I am pretty nervous. Imagine I have not played regularly for so long, and even if I do play, I only play simple pieces nowadays, hardly anything of Chopin's standard. And I have lost touch with all the scales, major, chromatic and harmonic minors.

I have chosen the songs though. The first piece will be Strauss' Radetzky March (piano version) and the second is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Initially, I was thinking of Rimsky's Flight of the Bumble Bee or Beethoven's famous Symphony No. 5, but I do not think I am able to handle those as yet.

If I do not pass the test, I will have to undergo lessons starting from Grade 5 again before moving up to Grade 8 and take another test in a year or two, and pass it before I can take up the performance certificate.

Well... one cannot have everything. If I can pursue my passions, it will be good enough. Meanwhile, I shall see how the test goes. I must dedicate more time to music playing from now on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...