Lilypie

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Iron Maiden!

My resolve to be a better person is coming along fine. I figured that I need to learn how to start doing things on my own, thus I started from my own home, my own room. So I started helping out more at home, starting from my own things.

Usually when my mum bought any new clothes, it will be my maid who helps in the sewing, unpicking, shortening or lengthening of the piece of clothing, plus the washing and ironing. This year, I decided to do it on my own.

So when I got my new year dress, a princess-cut spaghetti strap dress which fits my figure snugly (sidenote : I have gone down eight kilograms! My figure is almost back! Soon I can get my desired figure!). However, there were lots of loose threads hanging out, so I did all the unpicking and fixing of the dress myself.

Just now, after the reunion dinner, I tried my hand at ironing. This is not the first time I ironed, except I seldom iron unless my maid is not around. In my whole life, the only times I ironed were the two times when we were without a maid, and I absolutely loathe it.

Even when I was staying in the hostel, I never did any laundry or ironing. I accumulated all my clothes and brought them home during the weekends, where I would dump everything into the washing machine, and just packed new clothes for the following week. Okay, I admit I am rather spoilt. :-p

Which was why my mum was so surprised when I told her I would iron my own dress just now. And ironed the dress I did. I had to adjust the iron accordingly to the appropriate temperature for the appropriate fabric.

The dress had some ruffles around the top, so I had to turn it over and press the iron properly and delicately over the fabric, so as to neaten the ruffles and not crumple them at the same time. I had to spray a bit of water on it too in order to iron smoothly.

After doing the ruffles, I had to iron the rest of the dress to smoothen it. So I had to turn the dress round bit by bit, and iron it using an updown motion, all the while spraying some water on it before ironing.

Apparently I sprayed a bit too much water at some parts, so when I ran the iron over those parts, the water became a patch and those parts got a bit wet. :-p Overall, the entire dress came out smooth and fine. I did not burn a hole anywhere at least!

Now that the "ordeal" is over, I figured that it is not that difficult to iron a piece of clothing after all. I used to hate ironing because I was always so afraid of getting myself or my clothes burnt.

I have to start being more domestically useful, because if I am to live alone or get married in the future, I cannot always have a maid to take care of things in the house. So it is high time I start doing things on my own and stop depending on others.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Good for you. You should always be able to do things for yourself and not depend on (or worse yet, expect) others to do it for you.

Women make this mistake a lot with men whom they marry expecting them to kill spiders, move furniture and chauffer them around. Ok, if you find a guy who likes to do that sort of stuff, then great, so long as you expect to be a traditional woman and keep your place in the kitchen. Otherwise, I expect you to be capable of doing stuff for yourself (after all, I don't expect Sofia to do anything for me).

I joined Weight Watchers at work last week. At this week's weigh in I lost 9.5lbs (4.3kg) - I was careful to wear the same clothes as last week. One of the good things about Weight Watchers is that certain foods are considered "free" food. They include cabbage, tomatoes, and mushrooms - all foods I really enjoy, so I have been packing a lot of them into my diet. Although, there has not been much change in my core diet, which was already quite decent. The principal change was in eliminating "supplemental indulgences" that were not necessary to my nutritional intake.

I don't iron. I try very hard to dry my clothes flat so they are not too, too wrinkled (or better yet, buy permanent press). My brother irons his clothes - he is actually a very snappy dresser (not only that, but he is also an excellent cook).

juphelia said...

I have never depended or expect others to do things for me. But I won 't deny it's a good feeling if people are willing or volunteer to do things to make me happy and satisfied. Having said that, I'm quite capable of doing things on my own, which is what I'm doing most of the time.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...