Lilypie

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Trying To Find Meaning In My Job

When I think of how frustrating my job is, I try to remember why it is I stuck on in the first place. What exactly am I doing? Can my job help others? In a way, especially when dealing with property transactions.

But I am only helping the rich, those who can afford. Then they pay an exorbitant sum, and make my company richer, and we get more bonuses and increment. Or I help those who are not happy with our services, and write us a letter claiming compensation, so we come to an amicable solution with both emerging winners.

Which makes me wonder how can I go the extra mile? Imagine if I am in the medical line, or even in the legal line (as a practitioner), or back in the education line, there are many things I can do to go the extra mile, and make both the customer and myself / employer happy.

As it is, I am not exactly in the frontline of anything, just the background of all documentation and cases. I do not even come in direct contact with the clients, unless asked to. So how do I go the extra mile?

When I was teaching, I would bring the kids home from school if they required extra lessons after school. Or else I would bring them out, buy them meals, and counsel them, talk to their parents, even being twenty-four hours on call for the kids or the parents to contact me (and some really do call at odd hours!).

I would even apply for financial aid and bursaries for those really deserving kids who come from low-income families. I would bring out the kids' self-esteem by constantly encouraging them, even if they got on my nerves, but I never gave up on them.

So I am proud to say that the few years when I was teaching, the results of my students improved from previous years. Even when I was teaching a very difficult class where the students were really poor in every sense of the word, but at the end of it all, their results improved.

If I did become a lawyer or prosecutor, I imagine I would not only fight the case to the best of my ability, but also help those really deserving ones, like not letting an innocent person go hang. Some committed the crime not because they planned it, but because it was on a spur of a moment through aggravation, or some were forced by circumstances.

Still, it is no excuse committing a crime, but between black and white, many times there are grey areas, which can be rather ambiguous. Unless we know everything of the person's background and situation, third parties are normally not in a position to comment or judge.

Imagine if I am a doctor, besides saving the patient and helping him / her to the best of my ability, I may have to talk to the family members, especially in terms of major illness or crisis, advise them on the best way to deal with the situation, possibly even to the extent of fulfilling a dying person's wish, and letting someone live the last days to the fullest.

Or I can be a world doctor and go to the third-world or war torn places to help treat the sick and injured, bringing them hope. Even if I am a teacher, I can do the same - go to the less priviledged places and help build schools and shelters, teaching English to those kids who are not able to have an education.

Even if I am a journalist, I can reach out to the masses through my words. I can help inspire others by the way I write. I can go on the forefront for the latest news about wars, or terrorism, or major world events.

As it is, just exactly what am I doing in my current job? Someone once said that every job is meaningful in its own ways, but how can I contribute in my job, besides contributing to my company's revenue? It seems to benefit the rich and affluent rather than those that are really needy.

Now I really regret not striving for better qualifications when I was younger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...