Lilypie

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Going Back To The Arena

Last night was a night of meeting friends, whether by appointment or not. It was just after my piano class when I bumped into a former teaching colleague. We chatted for a while, then I went to meet a friend for dinner. After that, when I was taking the train home, I bumped into another friend who used to perform together with me when I was still with the Lyric Opera. All in all, it was a good catching up session with old friends.

My music teacher did up a two-year plan for me, starting with practical examination next March, followed by Theory revision. Plus the occasional performances and promotions which the music school organises. Somehow it seems like I have gone back to my childhood days. The feeling is that of de ja vu, of long forgotten memories and the joys of performing.

The friend I met for dinner last night said something interesting. We had met under different circumstances before, in groups, so last night was the first time we met each other one on one. He said, I must be a lawyer and I must have been a school debater, and I must always have a book with me.

Hmmm.... To which I said, the lawyer part is partly correct, and yes, I do carry a book with me wherever I go, but as for school debater, how did he know? He said from the way I speak, the way I express myself, somehow he gets the feeling I am that kind of person. Erh... what kind of person was he referring to anyway?

I wrote something about my experiences in the debating team once. Actually, I was only in the debating team for like four years the most in the various schools I was in. The rest were just inter-class debates which were incorporated in English lessons. I had been Best Speaker twice (during inter-class competitions) and once during actual inter-school competitions, but then I have never really been a real debater, as in I was never selected to represent the country for international competitions. I am not that good.

My first guy and I used to take part in inter-school debating competitions and he emerged Best Speaker once. My second guy and I took part in the inter-faculty debating competition, and he was Best Speaker. That was the only debating competition I took part during tertiary years, so I was hoping to emerge Best Speaker, but I was not bitter because he deserved it fully. As I said, I go for articulate and intellectual guys. :-p

Still, it was a good and fun experience. I remember how we used to research, brainstorm, wrote and discoursed on a topic. I contributed my ideas, he contributed his. I was always there whenever the team needed to prepare for any debating competition, even when I need not participate, just to show support and gave ideas.

But my friend last night is really astute. He could actually see the type of person I am. It takes all kinds to make the world. There are some who think my kind of lifestyle and interests are boring, there are some who think I talk too much and am too expressive. There are even some who feels all the English Literature has harmed me, because now I can be so good with words, but yet they cannot tell if whatever words I say, I really mean them. And I assure you, I do mean whatever I say!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...