Lilypie

Monday, April 21, 2008

New Email To Mark A New Start

Finally I have taken the plunge and totally "migrated". Of course, there have been people asking me why did I finally choose to switch to a new email account totally, after having the same email account ever since my internet access was first set up?

Actually, the internet access was first subscribed by my dad, thus by right, the email account belongs to him. However, since I was the one who first set up the internet and email program, coupled with the fact that my dad is always away, the email is then set up under my name, and I use it exclusively.

Through the years, when everyone in my family starts using the internet, they have their own web-based email accounts too. And when all my friends have started using web-based emails, I still chose the traditional service provider to send and receive emails.

I have a Yahoo account as well, but that is only for yahoo group subscription. I never use it anymore, because the history behind that account is such that I do not feel that comfortable to use it exclusively now.

That account was set up in my university years together with someone else, where from there, we would email each other embarrassing things, clock and plan our dates, send each other e-cards and note down when we would be overseas. We even had a now defunct website using Geocities, part of Yahoo then.

Ever since we each went on with our own lives, he stopped using that account, so that account was exclusively mine from then on. I was intending to resurrect the Yahoo account permanently, but after seeing all the things in the inbox and outbox, I thought it would be a better idea to make a clean fresh start with a totally new email account, and so, the Yahoo account is now a part of my history, where I log in just to chat on messenger or to subscribe to groups.

Some of you may know I do have a gmail account, but that too, was set up together with someone else, which I want more than anything for it to be deleted permanently. Hence, to mark a real clean fresh start, I consolidated all my contacts and set up a whole new account totally, which will be mine to use henceforth, until... well, I shall not say forever, but at least till I decide to change emails again, which I do not ever foresee changing for now and the near future.

So why gmail? Why not another Yahoo account? I have heard lots of raving reviews regarding gmail. Besides, it has a very good spam filter, something which my original mailbox could never do. Google is my home page, and I can filter mail from my original server and email account, so I never have to miss any mails (despite that most are spam). This is in case I miss out anyone on my email list and they did not receive notice about my change in email address. And most importantly, I can access that anywhere, anytime, any location.

Thus, I feel I have progressed into a new level, able to mark a clean fresh start, away from all my old memories, happiness and sadness. Hopefully things will pick up from now on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...