Lilypie

Monday, April 28, 2008

Second Annual General Meeting

My company had its second Annual General Meeting today. Last year it was rather high profile, since it was the first time the company held a public Annual General Meeting, so everyone was on their toes. However, this year, things were more slack, as we learnt what to do and what not to do, thus this year's meeting went by without any hiccups despite being more relaxed than the previous one.

This is also the first time I actually sat in as a proxy for an Annual General Meeting. For someone who never dabbles in shares, I have never been to any Annual General Meeting, or any Extraordinary General Meeting. The one last year by my company, I was an usher, thus stayed outside the room througout, hence I had no idea what really transpired inside.

I do have an idea, after drafting resolutions and convening meetings in my previous work experiences, but today was the first time the paper resolutions actually went into fruition for me. Of course, I had some idea what would happen, what was needed, but to actually sit in is a totally different experience.

There were a few agendas and resolutions, where people have to propose and second. Then the shareholders would ask questions. I must say our shareholders are a pretty decent lot, as in they do not ask difficult questions, or nit-pick or scrutinise every word in the Annual Report down to its miniscule bit. They just brought up some queries and suggestions which they had.

All in all, the entire session lasted slightly more than a couple of hours. It was not as boring as I thought it would be, nor as lengthy. The pace was just right and the questions were appropriate. I will not say that I should start attending the Annual General Meetings of other companies, but at least it was not a bad experience. In any case, it was work-related, so it was not as if I had any choice not to attend in the first place. :-p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...