Lilypie

Friday, April 4, 2008

Living A Musical Life

I have always wanted to learn another instrument or two. There are people screaming at me, after knowing three instruments, I still want to learn more?! Erh... yes actually. The piano and electone were what my parents wanted me to learn, the recorder was what I had to learn when I was taking music minor back in university. Not that I do not enjoy playing any of those though.

Come to think of it, where exactly has my recorder gone to? Must go dig it up one day. I do not mean the small white ivory recorder which primary school kids need to get for music lessons, but the longer, sleeker light brown recorder made of German wood, and where the sound quality is so much better.

But the instruments I want to learn are those which I really want to learn on my own accord, not because anyone asked me to, or required to in order to complete a course. I am referring to instruments like violin, flute, guitar, cello and saxophone (although I have more interest in the first two as compared to the rest).

Actually if I did not switch from violin to choir, perhaps I could have reached quite a high standard in violin playing. But I never regretted, because singing is so much more fun and challenging, and requires much more techniques. In fact, voice is the hardest instrument to master.

So why violin and flute? No idea actually. I just like them, the same reason why I like tennis and squash over badminton or table tennis. Or why I prefer classical singing over karaoke singing. Imagine if I can play the violin and flute, I will be able to play an instrument in almost every category - piano, woodwind, strings. Throw in the saxophone and it will be complete, with brass.

I never thought my wish could come true, because even though I have been rather interested in the instruments, lack of time and money made me give up on the idea. But the other day, the music school and I had a pact, well, sort-of.

The music school I am currently attending has a pool of very talented teachers / instructors. The teachers have all been actively involved in the music scene since young, and have at least a degree in music. It is not the same as someone having just mere Grade 8 or Diploma qualifications, but actual music majors in their respective instruments.

Besides piano, they offer a wide range of instruments too. So, I indicated my interest. And since it is obvious I am passionate about music, I can take up voice, violin and flute, as well as get the instruments, at a very big discount off the price! What better way to learn music, keep my passion going and yet affordable at the same time?

Needless to say, I took up the offer without any hesitation. So it is one step ahead of making my wish(es) come true. The lessons will officially start in June, after my examination. Best is I can learn all on the same day, since each lesson is just one hour or less. Then I can dedicate one day to music and not need to run around all the time!

This teaches me that I should continue wishing and not give up, because one of these days, your wishes do come true. Thus I believe whatever I wish for in my life will come true too, I just need to be patient and let things happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...