Lilypie

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rediscovering The Food For The Mind

Finally, I have an idea how to sort out my books! Since I am going to re-read them again anyway, which is probably going to take me the next couple of years in light of the number I have and my kind of schedule lately, I have decided to read them according to category.

Which means I will start with classic English Literature to modern English Literature. That means, "Canterbury Tales", followed by "Utopia", then Shakespeare, "Paradise Lost", Jane Austen, "Frankenstein", "Jane Eyre", "Wuthering Heights", Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Oscar Wilde, D H Lawrence, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, James Joyce, George Orwell, Lewis Caroll, Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Dan Brown, Nicholas Sparks.

Next, comes French Literature of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Guy de Maupassant and Gustave Flaubert. Then Russian Literature of Fyodor Dostoyevsky ("Crime and Punishement", "Poor Folk", "The Idiot"), together with the works of Leo Tolstoy ("War and Peace"), as well as "Doctor Zhivago" and "Lara's Child".

Not to mention American authors like Margaret Mitchell ("Gone With The Wind") and the sequel "Scarlett", as well as F Scott Fitzgerald and the historian writer Margaret George. And also the Coloumbian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Plus the modern books like "The Kite Runner", "The Inheritance of Loss", "The Time Traveller's Wife".

After that Chinese Literature (in English of course). The four great novels - "Journey to the West", "A Dream of Red Mansions", "The Water Margin" and "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", followed by the "Selected Stories of Lu Hsun". Also books by Chinese writers like Amy Tan, Lisa See, Jung Chang, and our local writers like Catherine Lim. Finally, it will be Chinese books of Eileen Chang, Louis Cha and the Wisely series. Plus the various manga series which I have.

This is not even a comprehensive list! There are still lots more books which are standalone that I have not noted down. Looks like I am going to have a great time rediscovering the beauty of books for quite a while!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...