Lilypie

Monday, July 14, 2008

A Decent Apartment?

My uncle, the one my maternal grandma is staying with, is having his house (both of them) renovated, so they moved into an apartment which he bought for investment. It is a new development, consisting of almost all the full facilities and amenities, including a tennis court, swimming pool, jacuzzi pool, mini driving range, foot reflexology, gym, function hall, barbecue pits and greenery around. Still no squash courts though.

That is what a development should be like! With all the amenities intact, unlike the newer developments where there is only a small pool and a gym the most. If there are no tennis courts and barbecue pits, why would anyone then pay so much to buy a unit there when the facilities are so sparse, just like public housing?

Anyway, they are only staying there temporarily until their house(s) have completed refurbishment, then they will move back and the unit will be rented out. So they had a mini get-together with closer relatives and neighbours in the function hall on Sunday night. I have never stayed in any apartment before, so I was horrified to find that one can look right into their living room from the tennis court! The tennis court is built on top of the swimming pool, with a winding staircase leading to it.

Imagine anyone looking into your home! I have never had anyone looking into my home or room, because our driveway sort of separates our house with the street, plus with curtains and sliding doors, it makes it hard for anyone to look in. I will never be comfortable with anyone looking into my home!

My uncle's family took the third floor, but there are people staying on the first floor, and anyone can just look in as the doors are quite open. Even from the function room, I can just look up and see my youngest cousin using the computer in the living room! The apartment itself consists of four bedrooms, one living room, a balcony, and a kitchen leading to the maid's room.

However, the entire area is really small! Each room is only enough for one person. When my two younger cousins had to share a room, there was no place to put any bed. They have to sleep on mattresses where during the daytime they would be folded up to make more space! Even the master bedroom is only enough to put the bed and the cupboards, plus a hole dug out for the bathroom, nothing else!

And the poor maid's room is not even a room! It is where people do their laundry and ironing, so when she had to sleep at night, she had to put the entire ironing board out into the kitchen in order for her to even place a mattress on the floor! Her attached bathroom is not even a bathroom, it is like a prisoner cell where there is only standing space!

My goodness! How is anyone ever going to live in such conditions? The place is so small that they cannot even put a piano in, otherwise the entire place will be so cluttered, so they have to leave their piano at their house, where it will collect dust from all the renovations going on!

Makes me think twice about the kind of place I want to get. If it is going to be that small, forget it! The entire place will not even be enough to take half my book collection! I know, I know, I am too used to having a big space, but still, the room should at least be of a decent enough size to put in a bed and a normal wardrobe if anything else!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...