Lilypie

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Nasty Foreigners ....

Every evening, I have to take at least an hour and a half bus ride back home from my office. If I get off at 6:00pm on the dot, the journey may take longer, because of heavy traffic during peak hours. This bus goes from the east to the west, and vice versa, so I was quite lucky that due to the location of my office, I was able to get a seat on the bus. I cannot imagine standing for an hour and a half at the end of a tired work day!

Anyway, the bus journey will take me throughout the entire District Ten area, go on to Little India, then the red-light district, passing by the area I stay in, then all the way until the next terminus. Normally at Little India, loads of people will come out. The next bus load will be around the red-light district area.

On Friday, perhaps because I got off work late, the bus was crowded. I was lucky there was still a seat and there was no pregnant or elderly people around. The route all the way home was extremely crowded too. There was a massive jam all the way from District Ten to the end of the red-light district.

As usual, massive of people boarded and alighted at certain stops along the way. When the bus turned into the red-light district, there was hardly any space for people to board. Being notorious locals, people just squeezed around the centre of the bus, and no one was willing to move to the back. There was so much standing space being wasted, when more people could board, otherwise they would have to wait another half an hour or so for the next bus!

Anyway this foreigner behind me was just speaking out in general about why people were so inconsiderate and why could they not move to the back, which I think was a very valid point! I was just minding my own business with my nose in a book (as usual), when this other foreigner (think they are both from the same country) who was about to alight, suddenly turned around and shouted at the first foreigner, accusing him of talking bad about him!

A mini-drama enfolded. Both foreigners were cursing and scolding each other in their own respective dialects. Because foreigner B was about to alight, the door was still open, thus the bus driver did not dare to move. And foreigner B kept picking quarrels with foreigner A, holding up everyone and the traffic behind us!

The bus driver stood up but all he could do was to smile in amusement (since he could not speak their language), and the rest of the people just looked on without doing anything. I was getting really irritated, and just when I was about to turn around and tell off both of them for making a scene and holding up everyone, this lady told them to stop quarrelling and let the bus move. That was when foreigner B got down and the bus could finally move! And foreigner A still continued cussing and swearing in his seat!

Honestly, do some people feel no sense of shame creating a scene in public? It does not show how righteous one is; rather it shows how declasse some people can be! Not to mention mighty inconsiderate and selfish by holding up everyone else!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...