Lilypie

Friday, July 11, 2008

Showing Colours ....

I have heard that women can see many spectrums of colours and many shades, whereas men can only see the few primary and secondary colours. In most cases, I never have a problem communicating to guys about colours, until recently.

I was supposed to pick up something from someone. He told me he was wearing a blue shirt with black pants. Blue, to me, means the normal blue colour, a shade lighter than the colour of my dashboard. And black means black.

So I was looking around for someone who has on a blue shirt and black pants. But I could not spot him. Finally I sent him a message, telling him my exact position and before I knew it, he was right in front of me.

His shirt is light blue (like the colour of my header). And his pants are dark grey, not black! Dark grey looks a lot like black, but it is not black! So I said, "I thought you said blue shirt and black pants?" And he said, "Yes, that is what I'm wearing."

Well.... I did not wish to get into a debate on the different shades of blue, so I just left it. Later on, I met a friend for dinner and he gave me a lift back. His car is tangerine. He said orange. So I said it is tangerine. Orange is a bit lighter. And he gave me a bewildered look, as if I was speaking Ewok talk.

Some time back, I wore a mustard coloured top to work. I bumped into one of my male colleagues during lunch, and he said I was as bright as the sun. So I said I am wearing mustard, not yellow. Apparently, in a guy's vocabulary, mustard, lemon, et al, are all yellow. Light blue, dark blue, teal blue, navy blue, sky blue, are all blue. Tangerine is orange, and olive, lime, grass, are all green. Lavendar is purple.

Quite a good education actually. I realise I need to be more careful how I communicate, because what I term as maroon may be just red to a guy. Oh well.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...