Lilypie

Thursday, July 3, 2008

A New Sunshine

It had been two days of worry and fretting, but last evening, everything was blown over! At last! My boss came to me and said the Managing Director is with him and shows his support, so the long and short of it is that my job is still in tact, and I just need to talk things through with some people to resolve certain issues. Whew! Having said that, I like to express my gratitude to those who have comforted me, cheered me up, lent a listening ear. You peeps are the best! :-)

To top it off, I received my examination results and, well, I passed. Not the grades I dreamed of, but at least not as bad as I thought I did. In any case, I did well enough to be exempted from certain modules, so I am free from classes for the next half year, until next year! Another half year to relax before the battle begins again!

The incident in the past couple of days, coupled with my experiences the past year or so, makes me wonder if male bosses are really generally better than female bosses? I have had my share of female bosses in the past, but ever since I joined this company, the heads are all males. I have been lucky as in even though there have been more female counsels, they are all nice to work with.

In the past, be it in the education line or law firms, I have had female bosses. Even though I heard terror stories of female bosses, I never let them affect me and just tried to do my job well. But later on, I realised those terror stories were true, as in female bosses would pick on every little thing.

Perhaps they are more meticulous, perhaps they are more petty, but whatever it is, they picked on things that were so minuscule. I never had a boss pick on my work, but on things like dressing, where I put my stationery, where I put my files, the clutter on my desk, how I look, how I should attract guys (is it anyone's business anyway?). Worst thing was when mistakes were made, they would blame me and blow up the whole thing. Which was why I could not tolerate some of my former bosses.

For the past couple of years, I have been working for male bosses. And I find them better, as in they are not so picky on personal artifacts, as long as you do your work. And that was what I had been doing. My bosses here generally leave me alone as long as work gets done. They do not care where I put my files or stationery, as long as I can produce all the information when they asked for it. Which is why I can get away with my desk being in a perpetual mess and being a bit lax on dressing at times.

And the recent spate of trouble I incurred? The cause of it was a female. In any case, at times I wonder is it because females in general are by nature more narrow-minded and petty, and they tend to pick on minor things, being more perfectionist, whereas for males, in general they are by nature more laid-back and not so picky on minor things?

At least I realise what constitutes a good boss. A good boss is one who trusts you to do your work, does not bug you over every little thing, who lets you learn as much as you can, heaps out praises when you have done a good job and who helps you out in times of trouble, not someone who makes you do all the work but takes credit for it, blames you when (s)he makes a mistake, "kills" you when you get into trouble, and not allow you to learn much for fear that you may become better. And I am lucky that I have a good enough boss at least!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...