Lilypie

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

School Daze ....

I came across one of my old school yearbooks the other day. That, coupled with an intense conversation with K yesterday, brought back certain memories long forgotten. I remember the day I finished my 'O' level examinations (it was the dreaded Additional Mathematics paper), I felt so relieved that I was finally free! My friends in the Arts stream were already free a week back, when they finished the Literature examination, and I had to mug for another week over a subject I hated.

Anyway, it was on the day itself that my mum called me and asked me to pack up. I was surprised, until she said we would be leaving for Genting Highlands the next day and she did not want to tell me for fear I got too excited and could not concentrate on my paper. Right... why would I be excited going to Genting Highlands anyway? If she had said Europe or America.. now that would be different.

Only thing was that I had to submit my school application form the next day. But we had to catch an early morning train into Malaysia. So my parents drove me down to the school I wanted to apply for (just as well it is near my place) and I deposited the slip with the main office before rushing off.

Honestly, I never thought I would stand a chance. That school was one of the top schools, even now. Compared to the rest of my classmates, my grades were just mediocre. Definitely I could not make the Science stream, not that I wanted to do Science anyway. So when the letter came that I got in, I was totally ecstatic! My mum took a look and wondered why I put Arts instead of Science, as she thought I would do triple science and Mathematics, but I told her I would rather die than do Science subjects again.

On the first day of school, we were all gathered in the hall for a briefing and orientation program. The orientation lasted for a month. During that month, even though lectures and tutorials were conducted, no one really took their work seriously, because we were not sure if we could still be in the school after three months.

I stood next to this sweet-looking girl with a cute bob. We had to line up to go for classes, and I happened to be in the same class as her. Since we were just next to each other, we ended up sitting together as well, and when the tutor called out our names, that was when we knew each other's names and started talking. This girl became my best friend and since then, we have never stopped being friends until now.

Then we had to choose our school activities, and I chose Choir, Debating, Student Council, Tennis and Magazine. But I was kicked out of Tennis as the coach required someone who could actually play. The first Choral session was an audition, and I got the part of Mezzo with the occasional Soprano.

I remember my audition was after a guy from the Science stream. While we were waiting for our turns, a group of us were chatting with each other. The guy went in, came out and said he got the part of the Tenor, with the occasional Baritone. He gave me a thumbs up and said good luck! When I came out of the audition, I was surprised he was still hanging around.

He asked about my audition and I told him I managed to pass. He patted me on the shoulder and congratulated me. Then we went for a drink at the canteen and talked, and he said he planned to run for the President of the Student Council. Then, during the first debating session, I saw him again and when he started debating, I was really captivated by the way he talked and presented himself. This guy later became the first guy in my life.

Three months later, when it was confirmed we would all be staying in the school, we went out to celebrate, all of us, my best friend and some classmates of ours, this guy and some of our choir mates. Orientation had officially ended and it was time for serious work. The guy and I became busy running for the Student Council and we helped each other along the way and got the posts we wanted.

Then I submitted an application for Humanities Scholarship, and managed to get it. Since then, I got more involved in Literature and Drama activities. I extracted parts from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, gave them a modern twist (although if I had a choice I would not have done that!), and choreographed them. We had fun rehearsing and playing roles from various plays.

Throughout my time in the school, I did really fun things, activities like these which were part and parcel of school life, instead of just books and studies. And the friends I made, most of them became really close, although unfortunately along the way, we kind of lost touch with each other or became just mere acquaintances.

I learnt a lot from my school days, especially in learning how to interact with the opposite sex. I was from a girl's school a big part of my life, and grew up with mostly female cousins. My impression of guys were childish like my brothers. I never really had an elder brother figure to look up to, as I was not that close to my male cousins (the only one I was close to was far away down under.) I have my godbrother and my childhood friend, but we have known each other since young, so I did not think there was any need to behave any differently with them.

Entering that school opened my eyes to a lot of things. Like how I could not be boisterous in front of guys. Being used to a girl's school, we were rather outspoken and loud (actually I still am). But then there were guys who were used to being in a boys' school, so they, too, were not sure how to behave towards girls.

It was my best friend who gave me tips. She had been in a co-ed school all her life, so she told me talking and befriending guys are just the same as being friends with girls, except of course we do not venture into girl talk. We can talk about intelligent stuff with guys too. Just like when girls get together, they exchange juicy gossip and start bitching about men, guys will show off their "conquests" whenever they get together. I used to be really disgusted but later on I realise it is part and parcel of bonding with the same gender.

That period of time was one of the best times of my life. Despite the downs (in a tumultuous relationship for about a year and screwing up important examinations because of that, resulting in almost dropping out, then had to endure the humility of seeing him with a new girl and being talked down to by that girl), I had happy times.

Somehow working life is never as fun as school days. Maybe it is true that friends you meet from school are those that can last throughout because you went through so much together being involved in the various activities of the school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...