Lilypie

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Coincidental Catching Up Session

I happened to bump into a friend yesterday. He was the one who was working at the Ministry of Law, but he has since moved on to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and now awaiting posting to the Youth Olympic Section where he will stay for two years. Interesting jobs he have! We managed to catch up a bit on all the years that have gone by.

He told me about our friends whom he is still in touch with. Who are still in the industry, who are in big firms, who have left the industry. No wonder the professionals are worrying, because it seems like the turnover rate is really high indeed! So many of our peers have left the industry. So I told him ever since I went in-house, my life has been better as compared to a law firm.

In any case, most of those we know are married, or married with kids. He said last year seemed to be a good time for marriages, as he attended quite a few weddings (including my ex's - come to think of it, he should have celebrated his first anniversary last week yet I did not even realise it until my friend told me!). So it leaves just me and him who are still single.

My friend was just telling me that one of his classmates had to go to England for three years, so he married his girlfriend and they went together. The female classmates have also married. Now, why are some people able to find someone just like that? Imagine if I am the one who is going to go overseas, or my partner is going to go overseas, chances are he will either not support me, or he will just break up and let us go on our own ways. No one has ever sacrificed for me in that way, but I had to give up my dreams twice in order to stay in a relationship. Hmmmm....

And it is not as if their expectations are any that low. In fact, I am the worst of the lot - the least smart, least capable, least articulate, least proficient. These are the kind of people whose parents are wealthy, so they have been wealthy and well-priviledged all their lives, studying is a breeze, they can breeze through with straight 'A's, most are from the top schools throughout, most are all-rounders and some are scholars. Needless to say, the other halves they are looking for must be someone equal or better in terms of education level, results, profession and family background.

Compared to them, the kind of person I am looking for is much simpler already. So how come they are able to find someone and yet I am not? Sigh.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...