Lilypie

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Asian Geographic, Anyone?

I came across a magazine at the convenience mart in the petrol kiosk next to my office some time back. How can I miss that? It is called "Asian Geographic". Apparently, it is already out for some time, yet I never know! After all the National Geographic I have read, I was wondering how Asian Geographic will be like. Turns out that I am not disappointed!

The photos are just as good as those in the NatGeo! Big, glossy, detailed, and you can just feel the animals coming to life in front of you! The only difference is that for Asian Geo, the issues are focused on Asia, like the geography, culture, demography and disasters predominantly in the Asian region.

The issue I bought happened to touch on the normadic people in the Himalayan region. Plus an article on the long-necked tribe in northern Thailand, refugees from Myanmar. Not to mention the numerous appeals for relief in aid of the refugees and child prostitutes in the various parts of Asia.

The reason I love Nat Geo and now Asian Geo is because the magazines expose me to things which I will otherwise never foresee in the part of the world I am in. Rather than reading about who are the top financiers in the world (although the Economist and TIME have helped improve my English somewhat), I rather see the other part of the world where I can never see.

Face it, the world is not made up of top businessmen or entrepreneurs, but of dying creatures on the brink of extinction, of stone-aged hamo sapiens of long ago, sufferings and reality of some parts of the world, and the different colourful cultures and practices that still exist to this day. And that is why I will still continue reading NatGeo and start subscribing to Asian Geographic!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...