Lilypie

Monday, July 21, 2008

Views Of A Blog Fight

Yesterday's newspaper featured an article on how two high-profile bloggers are suing each other over defamatory remarks on each other's blogs regarding the other party. I always maintain it is one's choice whether to have a blog, and if so, we choose what we want to write in it, what we want to express. So some can become famous after blogging, these are the lucky ones. But must it get to such a stage that they start suing each other over freedom of expression on a platform that is used for personal expression?

Perhaps they have done it in very bad taste, ie making personal attacks on each other's characters. I have gotten that before too. No doubt it created publicity (I got about a thousand hits that day when my real name, id and old url was published and ruined in public), but at the end of the day, I chose to change my link to keep out of the trouble because I do not blog to please anyone, or to make myself famous, or be in the limelight. That was why I "shifted house" so to speak, not to be a coward and fled, like how some people thought.

It is true also that even though blogs are highly popular now and a haven for public discussion and debate, as well as wells of information, one should also be discerning what one writes or reports on and not ruin someone's name in public. So where do we draw the line?

I know I am very open as well, and I know I am very outspoken. I say it like it is, instead of being nice and hypocritical and bear grudges inside me. I do not bear grudges (unless the person really got my life ruined, and I can think of one person who did just that), so even though I could complain, rave and rant about people I have come across, the shallowness, childishness, selfishness, et al, in the end I do not name anyone in particular, so to those not in the know, they really have no idea who I am referring to. I can be talking about anyone in general.

And for sure I will not go around putting up anyone's full name, picture, email address, etc, on a public forum for all and sundry to see. What is the meaning of that? Why do I want to do that for? To show everyone what an idiot or childish or uncouth or irritating person look like? Everyone is entitled to their own lives and privacy, so even though I may grumble ever so often, I still respect people's privacy.

When I get irritated, I GET irritated, so I will rave about the actions and antics people get up to, and whether the person is worth my time. But at the end of it all, I will not tell tales about anyone, because whatever I say is from my own experiences and feelings. One cannot judge me for feeling how I feel because I am just human and a woman, with every bit a woman's feelings and emotions. I do not have a man's rationality or logicality, so I admit I will be very "small-minded" at times.

Still, how I express is how I express. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not such an expert linguist that I can convery the best message across in the least number of words, which is why I tend to be very expressive and long-winded. But that is just me. It is just how and who I am, people can either accept or not accept it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...