Lilypie

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Romance And Action Weekend

It had been so long since I had a real lazy Saturday all on my own. No studies, no revision, no preparation of assignments, no lessons, and no appointments! So I decided to catch up on all the movies I have but never have the chance to watch.

First up was "When Harry Met Sally", yes, with the infamous orgasm scene. The first time I watched the show was when we were touring San Francisco, and the tour guide showed us this movie in the long bus ride. However, I was asleep half the time so did not really know snippets of the show.

Okay, to many others, it is but a sappy love story, but this romantic comedy stood out on its own because there is no love at first sight thing, or lust at first sight. In fact, they could hardly stand the sight of each other while driving together to New York. The next time they met each other, again, they were almost at each other's throats.

But yet they managed to become friends, best of friends, great buddies in fact. They were just so comfortable with each other that when love blossomed, they were so afraid of plunging in for fear of spoiling the great friendship they had.

But that is the foundation, is it not? The foundation of all friendship is compatibility, chemistry and comfort. And the foundation of love is a great solid friendship. Which is why I cannot fathom why some people just want to be in a relationship before even being friends. How can one be attracted or claim to love someone if all they want is to bed the person, or want to be with the person, before even making sure they can get along greatly as friends?

No doubt if there is no chemistry whatsoever and there is no comfort being with the person, then perhaps it is not worth it even being friends. What I am trying to say is that as with all couples, they start from friends first. So before anyone has a solid friendship, they should not think of being a couple, and it may be even one-sided.

Anyway, after the show, I ended up watching "An Affair To Remember" (the famous top of the Empire State Building scene replicated in "Sleepless In Seattle"), and then "Somewhere In Time" (by the original Superman). All classic romances which bring tears to my eyes. When the evening rolled about, I decided enough is enough, no more romance, as it served only to remind me of the (lack of) romance in my life, so I switched to Indy!

Yes, I watched the entire Indiana Jones series, starting from "Raiders of the Lost Ark", then "Temple of Doom" and "The Last Crusade". Now I remember that the fourth instalment "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is more of a continuation of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The opening scene of the fourth instalment featured Indy being coerced to go to a secret warehouse to search for a box, the same box that was being put in the same warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Then I watched "True Lies", as somehow I still like Arnold in that show! A great movie marathon at least! Something I have not done for a long time already, and it feels really good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...